progear albacore special

Started by alantani, February 26, 2009, 07:46:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jtijerina125

The shaft looks fine. When i measured the original I got 31.7 of x 9.7 id x 1.5 thickness in 'll. I am located in texas. It would be interesting to see if one of the drag stars actually fit. If so I can easily order one online or go to my local fishing reel store and grab one. I am located in Houston, tx.

Jtijerina125

I know it's the drag star because I saw the tiniest peace of metal shaving come out of it.

Rancanfish

Yeah, sorry I just don't know for sure.  I could check tomorrow if my Torque star fits on my 540, but I'm still not sure if the shafts are the same anyway. (282/540).

Maybe someone with a bit more PG knowledge will pitch in with an answer. Or you can call Ken's Custom reel service in S.Cal.(Oceanside).  Those guys may know as they do lots of PG service.

If you don't get an answer, I can check tomorrow morning.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Jtijerina125

I tried calling them today and they weren't very helpful. So I'm just searching for another alternative.

Rancanfish

Hang in there, we have the most helpful people anywhere cruising thru...

Jtijerina125

I will! Figure if i was going to find out then it would be here. Thanks for all the help so far and let me know if you find out anything with the torque.

Bryan Young

the new producer of ProGear reels are making a presence on FaceBook.  You may want to try messaging them through there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

I experimented a bit this morning.  The PG drag star cup is much shallower.

The Torque star will start but comes to an abrupt stop pretty quick. It is deeper to accommodate the star click assembly. I compared the stems visually, and they look very similar. That said, I was not willing to push the Torque star and risk a cross thread after it came to a stop.

The Penn star will not work is my opinion.

I know it will be tough, but locate a star from an Albacore special.  The CS series star also fits.  You may indeed get a modern star to fit, since the new PG's look a lot like the old CS series.  (I'm learning as we go, too).  I have no new models to compare.

If you do facebook, that may indeed be the only way to get an answer quickly.

Jtijerina125

So after looking at Sears to see if i could match the pitch of the threads I found out that I was fighting a lost cause. Luckily my buddy works at a machine shop and is just going to press out the bushing inside the star and replace with a new threaded bushing. So I get to keep my original piece.  He ha s to make it out of aluminum for me. It will get the job done.

I may ask him if he car make more for me. I don't know very many people who have this problem but it would be nice to have.

Marco450r

Does anyone know if i can drop the gear ratio or what gear can i use to drop down to like 5.1 or something for bottom fishing its just hard when you are bring up a big fish or got a couple reds on the line bringing them 250 350 feet up

Swami805

Might be easier to find a handle with a longer blade to give you more leverage.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

MarkT

Quote from: Marco450r on March 06, 2019, 02:03:50 AM
Does anyone know if i can drop the gear ratio or what gear can i use to drop down to like 5.1 or something for bottom fishing its just hard when you are bring up a big fish or got a couple reds on the line bringing them 250 350 feet up
I have 3.6:1 gears in my 540!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Marco450r on March 06, 2019, 02:03:50 AM

I have a really nice power handle to fit the 540.  Please PM me if you are interested.

SoCalAngler

You must have a 280 or 282 as those are the only AS by ProGear that came 6:1 that I remember. The 540 and 542 had a option of either being 5:1 or 3.6:1 and the 461 came with a 5:1 if I remember correctly. Progear used mostly Penn parts for there internals so maybe the 3.6:1 gear and pinion will fit into other models than the 540 and 542. I really don't know but it does seem likely that the lower gear will work if there is not other fitment issues that I don't know about, which could be the case due to the spool pin size.

MarkT

I think the 3.6's will fit a 280/282 but I haven't tried it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!