Question Re: eared drag washer reference to suit L/D reels

Started by Taily, February 12, 2009, 11:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taily

Hi Alan,

Like everyone I'd like to say thank-you for tapping into a niche in the fishing industry that seems to have been long undiscovered! Congratulations on that!

I have been purchasing the odd reel off ebay here and there - got some seriously good gear (Penn HLW's etc) for not a lot of $$ too, and have also bought a couple of other types of reels that are being produced in Taiwan under many names and distributed worldwide. One of them is a reel that you know in the 'States as a "Prochallenger Pro-II30TR". It seems to be distributed around these parts (Australia) as a Omoto KAM 900H-II, but anyway this question doesn't relate directly to that reel, but others seemingly made by the same factory complex.

I have also bought a couple of other metal bodied lever drag reels (and a couple of graphite reels that look like a TLD 10 knock-off which uses precisely the same size/spec eared drag washer as the metal bodied KAM300L/D) which have what appear to be a dark grey paper/cardboard based construction drag washer that seems to have been treated with something slippery (teflon?) on one side. The questions I have are:

* Are these washers very suseptible to moisture intrusion into the washer itself (therefore getting "soggy")?

* And would you either have a reference of different sized "eared" washers (like your other reference page for predominantly small round HT-100s you've got there on another page of this website) or some other reference material I could find-out if something (made out of something decent like carbontex/HT-100 etc) out of another reel would fit?

The washer in question is 19.5mm internal (round hole, can be larger - up to probaly an inch I guess if needed), 40mm exactly external around the circumference, the ears are 2mm high by 5.5mm wide(a firm fit at that width).

This washer would actually fit three of my reels and (after stripping them down, lubing and inspecting) is about the only area I feel needs any further upgrading for what I'd like to use them for.

Regards,

Dave H  ;D 
Nunc est bibendum....

alantani

sorry, dave, i don't really keep a reference list of other drag washers.   i have quite an inventory of odd sized washers and usually just match one up by hand if needed.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Taily

Nunc est bibendum....