Day anchor smooth transition

Started by gstours, May 12, 2018, 03:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Here's a way to make the day anchor come in the 🚣 on the bow roller smoothly.  It's cheap. Proven. Less mud and weeds. No clunky shackles.   Step by step.

gstours

Seal the ends of line after unraveling about 2 feet. Heat or tape. start w one strand and alternate passing it through the chain towards the anchor from the chain end.

gstours

Run the line end back a link and secure w a pc of sst. Wire.  Take the 2 remaining strands and alternating from the previous links weave twords the anchor and double back and wire ends as well. 

gstours

Pull tite the line and smooth passes through the links if needed.  Use a vise or ? To hold/help.

gstours

Tape down as tight as possible on first pass.  Use a couple of layers for chafe protection.

gstours

The line passes through the roller and gunnels and openings nicely.  It's easy to do.  Butt now it's not for everyone 🤦‍♀️

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

boon

Interesting stuff, and a very nice transition, but do you have any concerns about water retention in there with the chain accelerating corrosion?
I was thinking you could achieve a very professional-looking finish with a couple of layers of large heatshrink but again it would retain water.
Maybe you have to tani-ise the chain with a whole lot of grease before taping  :D

gstours

Ive inspected these every other year and dont see any accelerated corrosion.  Usually rust degrades steel if not galvanized anyway.   Its working for me .    I learned a long time ago, "whenever you drop anchor you risk losing it!"    ??? 

Keta

Interesting.  I usually just splice an eye in the end link of the chain but this should help.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Dominick

Always thinking outside the box.  Thanks for showing us that chain of progress.  :D  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Nice.  Not so much clankity-clank noise too.
-steve

Dominick

Quote from: oc1 on May 15, 2018, 08:26:57 AM
Nice.  Not so much clankity-clank noise too.
-steve
Maybe I'm weird but I like that sound.  ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.