They do work !!!

Started by 54bullseye, May 14, 2018, 10:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

54bullseye

Well I own a bunch of cradles but yesterday was my first time ever using one. Me and my rod builder Dave Turner  http://turnerscustomrods.com/ made a couple of Nep-Tuna cradle reels into more comfortable bottom fishing rigs. The usually have short butts and are set up more for trolling with gimbals and different guides. So yesterday was a first !! My girl and I went Haddock fishing out of Seabrook NH. with  Eastman's Fleet and did very well on Haddock with some nice Cod mixed in "can't keep any Cod". Me and my girlfriend both got our limits of 12 Haddock and had to let quite a few back. I mostly used a jig all day and like I said had some nice Cod mixed in including some doubles.

As far as the cradle reels performance I liked the one with the 113H  4/0 Penn in it best that one has a nice older Fenwick blank and handled the 9 to 12 ounce jigs I use no problem. The other had a Penn Jigmaster in it with a Calstar 196 rod and I found that light for this type of fishing. I also found the cradles a little bulky and harder to use than my regular jigging rod but they did the job. I think next time I go I will use the 4/0 as my bait rod and bring my regular rod for jigging !!!  The Jigmaster will be saved for lighter fish and more shallow water.    John Taylor

thorhammer

Great fish, wow is it flat....Love the build on that Fenwick. Very nice wrapping.

John 

1badf350

Well done John!! Nice to see those old rigs back in action!
Did you have many people asking you about your gear?
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

coastal_dan

Too cool John, nice to see them getting used and fishy!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Donnyboat

Very nice John, good day out, thanks for posting, love them cradles, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

The cradles back in action, great to see it. Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Dominick

Quote from: Swami805 on May 14, 2018, 04:33:23 PM
The cradles back in action, great to see it. Thanks

Times 2 on that.  I used mine in Mexico.  Fishing was slow but managed a small dorado on it.  I don't take down there anymore because it is too bulky to pack, but it sure was fun using it.  I have a 9/0 attached.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

54bullseye

You know the cradles both big and small would probably work pretty good for trolling with the shorter butts and gimbals. For fighting a fish with a rod belt and possibly a shoulder harness there bulkyness wouldn't be so much a problem. Then with the big cradles you would be in a fighting chair with a harness they would be much like a regular big game set up. But holding them all day while jigging they seemed awkward and once you get some fish slime on your hands the cradle itself is a slippery bugger !!!  I will still bring one for bait fishing just because I like them and the novelty !!  

I did have a lot of people check them out in wonder !!      John Taylor

Bill B

Cool beans brother....good to see the NepTuna getting some work in.  I haven't had the pleasure of getting mine out but that should hopefully change this year.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

oc1

John, maybe you figured out why they don't make cradle rods any more.  Good catch.
-steve

Rivverrat

Thanks for posting this. I see a lot of merit (with some design changes) mounting a reel to a rod in this fasion. Some very nice pics... Jeff

Penn Chronology

Good to see you fishing with the cradle rig. I have a couple of them I fish with and have for many years. I love the conversations they start on Party Boats.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

John, I bet that the crew went nuts about that outfit.  Had they ever seen one before?

54bullseye

Mike and Randy they do get some lookers and a lot of questions on the Head Boats !! Not the most comfortable rigs for bottom fishing but fun giving them a go. I will continue to use the 4/0 as a bait set up but will use my go to Jig rod for iron !!       John Taylor