Okuma Andros 5 II serial number 3618-122, skips in high gear

Started by alantani, May 15, 2018, 04:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

okuma will likely take care of you.  maybe start the conversation with, "i was on alantani.com and i read that.....".
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Okuma is a good company —

If this is an issue of defective parts in one of their reels, and not any abuse — I would expect that Okuma would address and handle the issue — even if it is out of warranty.

If approached properly — most of the current major reel manufacturer players would likely do the same.

These would include — Okuma, Penn, Avet, Accurate.  I would have less confidence in Shimano and
Daiwa — but no manufacturer wants the reputation of faulty reels.

In this day and age of instant ratings and product information available — It may take decades to earn a good reputation of dependability and attention to product support — and only a few mistakes to lose that good reputation.

Taking care of customers properly by doing the unexpected above and beyond — is 100 times more effective than their annual advertising budget $$$.  And costs them in essence — virtually nothing.

Let us all know how it works out.

Contact Okuma directly.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

kutlingen

Thank you very much. I will see if i managged to fix this myself, but if not, I will get in contact with okuma again, and maybe link to this board?
No matter the turnout, i will get back and tell you the outcome.
Have a nice weekend.

Drisse

I got a Okuma Andros 5IIa in for service and found out it has the same problem. It slips while cranking without load in high gear.I took away the edges of wear on the pin with a file, but the reel still slips. It has quite much gearsound in high gear.
Did anyone solve the problem by just replacing the pin or the reels were sent to Okuma ?

Bryan Young

The pin is square and has to sit that way for the gear to engage properly. Sometimes rotating the pin 90° will allow the pin to engage more securely. I've also have found the pins a little bit more square and found that grips a little bit better as well. For myself, I have. replaced pins, rotated pins, and file pins with hitting this results.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

Judging from the reels that were sent back to me by okuma,  the cross pin and both high and low speed gears were replaced. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Drisse

Thanks Alan and Bryan! I will see if I can find out who runs Okuma here in Sweden (Scandinavia). Send them an email and see if I can sort it out ?