Salt-X & Salt Away

Started by Scattergun2570, May 16, 2018, 05:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

I am curious if anyone here uses this stuff,and for what exactly. Is it capable of dissolving badly crusted up salt deposits in the line roller for example? Would like to hear your experiences,,oh yeah,,Is Salt X & Salt Away the same thing?

STRIPER LOU

I use it internally in my outboard as and engine flush at the end of the season. Unfortunately in that application, there's no way to see if it does any good but I've had no problems with the motors cooling system.

Have not tried it for external use but I'm sure someone here has.

...............Lou

Gman_WC

I keep a strong mixture in spray bottle that I spray on rods/reels/line after every trip out.
After sitting for a minutes before drying, I use a small bucket of warm soapy water and soft bristle to go over all surfaces,
then rinse.
Not sure if necessary, but always close drag, and then back off with clicker when done to dry off.
I've never had a corrosion issue. I can't stand seeing salt build up on reels.

-gary

Walnut Creek, CA

handi2

We use it every time the boat is used. I dont use it the rods and reels.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

thorhammer

I think Dom (Broadway) told me wipes down about everything on the Broadway with Saltaway  after a trip.

Dominick

I used to rinse my engine and entire boat with salt-away and let it dry.  I never thought about using it on rods and reels until Broadway Dom recommended it.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

I don't know about Salt-X, but Salt Away appears to be some sort of surfactant.  Almost like a soap.  It makes the saltwater stop clinging to a surface (reduces surface tension).  This makes the saltwater easier to wash away than with freshwater alone.  There may be other ingredients that make it work better than dishing washing soap.  Perhaps it is acidic too?

A slick surface gives saltwater less space to cling than a textured surface.  So, waxing your stuff makes it easier to clean.

When saltwater dries it becomes a somewhat different situation.  You have to dissolve the salt before it can be carried away.  Like dissolves like and nothing dissolves salt better than water (both are very polar).  To make freshwater dissolve salt faster you need to apply energy.  The energy can be in the form of heat, water velocity like with a pressure sprayer, vibrations like with a ultrasonic cleaner, or a scrub brush.

Seawater is more than sodium chloride and water, so when seawater dries it leaves behind more than sodium chloride salt.  There are also lime (calcium) deposits.  Lime deposits are best dissolved with an acid which is why vinegar will help get rid of that white haze left behind after washing down with freshwater alone.  

-steve

Scattergun2570

Quote from: oc1 on May 16, 2018, 07:57:17 PM
I don't know about Salt-X, but Salt Away appears to be some sort of surfactant.  Almost like a soap.  It makes the saltwater stop clinging to a surface (reduces surface tension).  This makes the saltwater easier to wash away than with freshwater alone.  There may be other ingredients that make it work better than dishing washing soap.  Perhaps it is acidic too?

A slick surface gives saltwater less space to cling than a textured surface.  So, waxing your stuff makes it easier to clean.

When saltwater dries it becomes a somewhat different situation.  You have to dissolve the salt before it can be carried away.  Like dissolves like and nothing dissolves salt better than water (both are very polar).  To make freshwater dissolve salt faster you need to apply energy.  The energy can be in the form of heat, water velocity like with a pressure sprayer, vibrations like with a ultrasonic cleaner, or a scrub brush.

Seawater is more than sodium chloride and water, so when seawater dries it leaves behind more than sodium chloride salt.  There are also lime (calcium) deposits.  Lime deposits are best dissolved with an acid which is why vinegar will help get rid of that white haze left behind after washing down with freshwater alone.  

-steve

Very informative

jurelometer

A couple things.

Freshwater is an excellent solvent for salt.   But salt is kind of funny in that water temperature does not do much to change the solvency. Also many soaps do not react with salt the way you might think.   Check out all the online videos for kids to make slime out of table salt and dish soap.

If you have a surface wetted with seawater, and you can introduce a much larger amount of freshwater, you are done.  The salt will be  quickly diluted.  All you have to do now is evacuate the water.  No fancy cleaners or complicated processes.

But in most cases, there are surfaces where the saltwater has evaporated, leaving deposits of salt and minerals.  As Steve has noted,  you now need to have the water spend some time with the salt crystals,  and you may also need something to break down the mineral deposits. 

The salt removal products use proprietary formulas,  so it is difficult to determine exactly how they work,  but from the promotional literature and Safety Data Sheets, it looks like this stuff is mostly water and dye, plus:

1.  An agent that helps the water stick to surfaces so it can dissolve the salt.  I think this is a foaming agent.

2.  An anti-corrosion chemical intended to leave a coating behind.  If the water in the foam evaporates before it can be evacuated, the salt crystals reform in the same spot.   The coating is intended to provide a barrier from the salt crystals until it gets wet again.

3. A very mild acid to break down mineral deposits.

Since this stuff gets  splashed around humans and can spend a long time in the water passages of expensive outboards,  they shouldn't be using anything very strong in the formula, and the SDS tends to support this.

As to whether this stuff is good to use on reels,  I don"t know.   It should rinse out pretty easily.  Don't know what this stuff does to the longevity of lubricants, or whether the anticorrosion coatings affect drag performance.

I just soak my reels in a bucket of freshwater,  or the bathroom sink if the spouse is not around :)

akfish

I use Salt-X in the shop to remove corrosion. It's great and, I think, much better than Salt Away for this use. I disassemble the reel and soak in the affected parts in Salt-X mixed roughy about 10:1 and the green is gone in  couple hours. I like it so much that even though I can't get it locally I buy it online and pay Alaska shipping to get it here...
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

broadway

It's true... I use that stuff on everything and I pay full tilt for it , as I have no affiliation with "Salt Away" or any other products.  Salt away is the best of its kind in my opinion and I have tested 3 of the top brands.  Salt-X, Salt Terminator, and Salt Away.  I don't know what's in them as they are proprietary as Jurelometer said so I can only speak on how it works for me not basing my decision on their content or solutions just real life experience.  I had spoken to the inventor years back. I had to ask how much I should use for flushing my engines and what do ya know, the woman who invented it answered.  She told me I was wasting my money and needed about 20 seconds at 40 psi.  I was using it for 5 minutes and spending an awful lot of dough.  She saved me a bundle and was honest as most people in her shoes wouldn't be. They would say "you're doing it just right!, wink wink"  I appreciate her honesty and explanation.  What amazed me was when she said you can drink it when I asked what's in it.  She was right, as I saw the demonstration at the NYC boat show by their product pushers.  He drank a shot and tustve done that a few times during that day.  I'd say it can't be too bad.
It works great on anything at all that has salt on it.  I use it for my car (winter), my boat (summer), and my reels all year long!
Just my experience but I'm one anal dude.
Good luck and use what works for ya,
Dom

Scattergun2570

Quote from: akfish on May 17, 2018, 08:10:34 PM
I use Salt-X in the shop to remove corrosion. It's great and, I think, much better than Salt Away for this use. I disassemble the reel and soak in the affected parts in Salt-X mixed roughy about 10:1 and the green is gone in  couple hours. I like it so much that even though I can't get it locally I buy it online and pay Alaska shipping to get it here...

I was just curious if it could get rid of something like the salt in the pics below....

SoCalAngler

I use Salt Away like others to flush out/in board motors. The salt build up you are showing comes from not taking care of those reels plain and simple.

Shower with your gear? Well that's ok if you like. Soak them in a pool? All right for some but not for me.

Just take some care of your gear, I know some don't spend real dollars for their gear but some simple things will keep it lasting almost for ever.

A good rinse of fresh water after any trip into saltwater is hugely important on any gear. Well maintained reels will never look like that but I can understand if there not your reels. I hate to say this but if others let their gear look or have salt in them like that, that is the owners fault and not yours.

I never use Salt Away or anything like that on my fishing gear. Could it help? Maybe. But, why take a chance on neglecting your gear because you used a anti salt product on it?

Proper maintenance will hands down beat everything...other than luck.

Scattergun2570

Quote from: SoCalAngler on May 18, 2018, 04:36:34 AM
I use Salt Away like others to flush out/in board motors. The salt build up you are showing comes from not taking care of those reels plain and simple.

Shower with your gear? Well that's ok if you like. Soak them in a pool? All right for some but not for me.

Just take some care of your gear, I know some don't spend real dollars for their gear but some simple things will keep it lasting almost for ever.

A good rinse of fresh water after any trip into saltwater is hugely important on any gear. Well maintained reels will never look like that but I can understand if there not your reels. I hate to say this but if others let their gear look or have salt in them like that, that is the owners fault and not yours.

I never use Salt Away or anything like that on my fishing gear. Could it help? Maybe. But, why take a chance on neglecting your gear because you used a anti salt product on it?

Proper maintenance will hands down beat everything...other than luck.

Definitely not my reel..I was just curious if SaltX would dissolve all that salty buildup. I wasn't sure what my best route was when he gave it to me...I wound up using a s good amount of CorrosionX and a brush..I'm not sure that was the best thing,but that's what I did.

oc1

Dom talking about the guy who drinks Salt Away made me think about the old-time quick fix for cleaning battery terminals.  Pour Coca Cola on them.  Coca Cola has a pH of 2.5.  White wine vinegar is pH 2.4.  No wonder it's so good for you.
-steve