Another Rescue, Does This Reel Abuse Ever End??

Started by mo65, May 17, 2018, 08:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

My brother brought over this 113H that he picked up cheap...and I can see why...some googan spray painted this thing...horribly I might add! This is the stuff that gives spray bombing a bad rep. I tried a few chemicals to remove it...but it was so sun-baked on they didn't really phase it. I noticed it chipped off pretty easy with my thumb nail, so I switched gears, tried some 0000 steel wool. It practically jumped off the parts. The scratches on whats left of the chrome aren't from my steel wool...but are from the brillo pad scrubbing it got before the googan decided to paint! ::)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Here's the reel after reassembly. It's no beauty...but at least it's right! I cleaned and greased the drive section while it was apart, and put the Cal's to the drags. It will be ready to rock now(especially where it's perched for the pics!)  8)

steelfish

forget the steel pitted parts Mo.
now you have a excellent reel donor and get the new 113hXN kit from tiburon, its so narrow that surely would be an excellent reel for big cats without looking like a big and bulky saltwater reel.

The Baja Guy

Gfish

Nice. Or you can take it out and bang it around without it worryin bout it. Hmmm... Sounds like a good kayak reel. Been thinkin bout how much of a hassel lanyards are. Maybe that's the solution--- rehahab total beaters, especially the drags, and then not worry losin it over the side or smashing it with the paddle...
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

mo65

Quote from: Gfish on May 17, 2018, 09:06:16 PM
Nice. Or you can take it out and bang it around without it worryin bout it. Hmmm... Sounds like a good kayak reel. Been thinkin bout how much of a hassel lanyards are. Maybe that's the solution--- rehahab total beaters, especially the drags, and then not worry losin it over the side or smashing it with the paddle...

This is kinda what my brother said too G. As long as it's fully functional it is all he needs.

happyhooker

Some reel rescues are a real labor of love; this was a prime example.  The ones you remember the most are those that come in and you say to yourself "parts reel" or "trash can" at first glance, then you fiddle a little here, clean a little there & you end up with something brought back from the dead.

Frank

Swami805

Payback for that 349 you scored the other day. There is balance in the universe. To future reference I have a few sets of 113h plates left from conversions I did, welcome to them for the price of postage if anyone needs them
Do what you can with that you have where you are

mo65

Quote from: Swami805 on May 17, 2018, 09:33:42 PM
Payback for that 349 you scored the other day. There is balance in the universe.

That very well could be...making off with a $20 349H deserves some kind of punishment! :D

oc1

Does a carpenter worry about how his hammer looks?  Carpenter or fisherman, they're tools, not ornaments. 
-steve

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on May 18, 2018, 06:46:35 PM
Does a carpenter worry about how his hammer looks?  Carpenter or fisherman, they're tools, not ornaments. 
-steve

some use their fishing gear like if they were made by "apple" and some others used them if they were just old nokias 3310

I must confess that I have some apples reels and some nokia reels in my arsenal  ::) ::) :P
The Baja Guy

Reel 224

Mike:I can tell you from my own experience. No it doesn't stop. Good thing there is guys here like you who bring them to life again.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

kmstorm64

Quote from: Gfish on May 17, 2018, 09:06:16 PM

I gave up on lanyards a long time ago, after I rolled outside of Half Moon Bay, damn near got tangled in them. I use a piece of pool noodle and cut it to length, then cut lengthwise in a long 360 twisted cut, so when you place it on the reel it doesn't come off easily. a couple of Zip Ties later and we are good to hook for basic reel recovery provided the reel and rod doesn't exceed what the pool noodle can handle.  Small reels not so much of an issue, a 113...no promises you may need to step up the size of the noodle.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!