Do I need a service before first use ?[FTH15]

Started by Natarach, May 20, 2018, 02:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natarach

Hello

Today I got a Penn Fathom15 star drag and play it a lil bit I found that

Free spool didnt spin well (it spin smoothand quiet but spin slowly and less than3sec) so I think it is because too much grease from factory and I decide to take it for some cast (maybe it's in the break-in period?)

I check the free spool after each cast  and found sometime free spool spin very well but sometime it spin slowly

So I would like to ask for information /suggestion  what cause this and how to solve this .

Ps. I cast it about 30-40 times

Thank you
Natarach

Porthos

Only way to confirm is to open it up and look at how the grease was applied.

Natarach

I just opened the left side plate and take the spool off the cage

When I hold the spool axle and try spin the spool it spin well  and the grease seems not to much but I do cleane some grease around spool and cage then reassemble it

And I have normal freespool now!  , dont know the cause  but just reassemble seems the way it fixed (I only test free spool by finger , will try cast it tomorrow) the handle also feel more smooth and lighter while crank it.

By the way I was shocked when found that the brake blocks were set to work only 2 blocks (which I thought it set to work all 6 because today I cast Fathom less distance compared to Omoto chief cs 6000) 

Porthos

Rivverrat

This sounds like it was an issue of to much grease. I dont have any of the blocks engaged on my Fathom reels unless I know it will be windy. Also the pins the blocks ride on can be bent a little  which will negatively effect casting... Jeff

Natarach

Hi

Today I cast it  (about 20 -30 times) and spool is now spin fine :) so I guess the case is closed.

Anyway The distance is not noticeable increase compared to  yesterday casting ( I use 38g sinker +8'MH rod)  I think I got about 50m distance.

Thank you everyone for suggestion :)

Natarach

Natarach

One more question :D

Should I clean the ring on the left side plate? ( the ring for brake blocks ) since there's some grease on the ring  I guess it may effect the performance of  brake blocks.

Tiddlerbasher

I always run the 'brake ring' dry and clean - no oil or grease.

akfish

I have found many Fathoms come from the factory over-greased with Penn Blue Grease. That's better than no grease but it does often affect free spool. One thing to be careful of when you work on these reels: The side plate screws and very short and thus have little frame to grab. I've seen several with the screw holes stripped. That happen if you are too aggressive with your screw driver, of course, but it seems especially common in reels like the atom series with cast as opposed to machined metal frames.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska