wednesday, june 6th, 2018 endeavor limited load trip to cape san martin

Started by alantani, May 18, 2018, 04:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

a friend of mine has a group of 5 that want to go to morro bay to fish on june 6th.  i will be opening up the cayucos house on tuesday the 5th, fishing on the 6th, and returning home on the 7th.  when i signed up, there were only 3 other guys signed up for the boat.  if anyone else wants to go, let me know.  thanks!!!!!  alan

https://morrobaylanding.fishingreservations.net/sales/index.php?page=4
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

rogan

Aaahhh Alan, your killing me... I'm so ready for another trip but i can't make it there on wednesday, work is getting in the way. Now if you had a thursday trip, i could swing it. ;)

alantani

juan lezama will be joining us, along with ben villaruiz and 3 or 4 of his friends.  anybody else?  the fishing for vermillion will be epic.  ling cod have been on the smaller side all up and down the coast.  still, great fishing!

Swami805

I'm going on the 5th to the local islands, I'll make one of these trips. I've done that trip on that boat,best rockfishing up there around, wish I could make it.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

i'm trying to talk khanh into joining me, as well as glenn fukumoto.  guys, this really is too good to pass up!   :-\

jlezama

Hi Alan
    Looking forward to fish with you guys. Any other Bay Area people coming about? Dominik?
Just wanted to start a quick poll on what tackle people Are bringing

Assuming we are fishing at the depth limit I am bringing
Penn 112hxn + Rainshadow custom 20-40 800M (Jig)
Penn 113hn + Fenwick Pacific Stick 20-50 (bait)
Penn 113hxn + Phenix Black diamond 20-40 (jig)
Penn 65 + Bamboo stick (for fun)

As far as tackle I am assuming heavy swimbaits (>4 oz) and heavy iron (diamond jigs hex bars 8-12 oz)
Other wise 2/0 -6/0 octopus and live bait hooks I was looking for bronze live bait hooks but they don't seem to like it on the tackle shops around here.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions I am also planning to stop at Jerry's Marine the day before (leaving on the 5th before noon)
See you guys in a week!
Juan

alantani

we will be fishing deep.  i'm rigged with the narrow 4/0 that the guys gave me.  it's loaded with 80 pound braid.  the rod is an 8 foot calstar grafighter.  we will be using 1 pound diamond bars or 1 pound lead sinkers, single hook rigs, double hook rigs, or a teaser with a bar or bullet head jig.  anything less than 1 pound and you will get tangles.  you don't want to be "that guy."   ;D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Juan, these Cape San Martin fish are not hook shy.  If you are planning to fish whole squid, I would go with 8/0-10/0 hooks and run the hook through the squid 2-4 times.  I think that the big hooks hold better and reduce time wasted on some of the smaller fish.  Alan is right on about using 1 lb. weights.  They will get you down faster and allow you to fish with less angle, resulting in less line out, better feel, less hang-ups, less tangles, less chance for a big ling to get in his hole before you can stop him.

I hope that you guys have a great trip.  I wish that I could go but I am fishing with Sheridan on a charter that we booked months ago.

jlezama

Definitely don't want to be that guy Alan! :)  I will be 1 pounder ready.

Now I have a valid reason to stop at Jerry's Marine for some big hooks! and more tackle ;)
Thanks for the info Randy, hope to catch you next time!

alantani

thorhammer

I'm in!!!

Dang i just woke up...i was dreaming that....

I'm due a West Coast trip though....

scrinch

Sounds like fun, but I'm trying to finish up the rowboat that I've been building (slowly) since November so I can take it up to Mammoth the following week. I've just got sanding and painting the hull left, but it' going to be nip n tuck whether I finish in time.  :-\

Big Tim

You guys have fun, I tried to take a sick day to join in but to much with my Mom and work right now. I would reccomend  that if you get into a few big Lings and Red rockfish that you pay a little extra to have a few collars cut out for you  ;D Delish.

Tim

theswimmer

There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn