2 piece 10' surf rod

Started by Shark Hunter, May 20, 2018, 06:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeri

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 03, 2019, 06:04:58 AM
Whatever you Say Jeri.
I'm in it for one thing and one thing only.
I will be slinging baits until my arms fall off.
This can be done, but it will be Kentucky Style only. ;)
No Copying or Duplicating, My own way from my Own Trials, Reels and Equipment. ;D

We are all hopefully only in it for one thing - the pure pleasure of fishing .............  :)

Though, have found that by looking at all sorts of different answers to similar problems, there evolves a unique solution to your local circumstances. I often look to see how others around the world overcome problems, and adapt to suit my local needs. Recently found an enhancement to our surf casting rods, from a small water spinning environment, scaled it up a little, and found 5-10% extra distance from our previous design on medium weight rods. Lent the prototype rod to one of our club's ladies in the National Trials recently, and she came in 2nd overall - she appreciated the extra distance the rod gave her.

Looking forward to see how 'Kentucky style' develops. Might learn something new to 'borrow'.

There is a quaint expression down here, that I had to learn when I moved down - "steal with your eyes!"

Bryan Young

Quote from: Jeri on April 03, 2019, 07:27:41 AM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 03, 2019, 06:04:58 AM
Whatever you Say Jeri.
I'm in it for one thing and one thing only.
I will be slinging baits until my arms fall off.
This can be done, but it will be Kentucky Style only. ;)
No Copying or Duplicating, My own way from my Own Trials, Reels and Equipment. ;D

We are all hopefully only in it for one thing - the pure pleasure of fishing .............  :)

Though, have found that by looking at all sorts of different answers to similar problems, there evolves a unique solution to your local circumstances. I often look to see how others around the world overcome problems, and adapt to suit my local needs. Recently found an enhancement to our surf casting rods, from a small water spinning environment, scaled it up a little, and found 5-10% extra distance from our previous design on medium weight rods. Lent the prototype rod to one of our club's ladies in the National Trials recently, and she came in 2nd overall - she appreciated the extra distance the rod gave her.

Looking forward to see how 'Kentucky style' develops. Might learn something new to 'borrow'.

There is a quaint expression down here, that I had to learn when I moved down - "steal with your eyes!"
Jeri,

Would you mind attaching photos or a link of the set up in your part of the world?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Jeri

This is our local competitive surf angling association's web site:  https://nsaa.com.na/

Some of the pictures sliding across the main page show some of what we do, though equally it is not all wading out chest deep in the cold Atlantic, plenty of action with feet still on dry sand.

The rods generally are built for fixed spool reels (spinners)and braid these days (change in competition rules allowing braid as main line). The rods are mostly 14-15' long - a lot just 1 piece construction, varying in strength from just 5oz and bait casting performance right up to 10oz and huge baits for casting. Because the competitions are judged on weight (derived from length to weight charts), sharks are the primary target of the competitors, though occasionally a fish of the same family as Drum are caught up to 20kgs. Because of the dynamics of fishing for potentially larger fish and sharks, the surf rods are nearly all built with the reel seat just 8" up from the bottom, and reel control during casting is done with the left hand - this configuration of rod and reel, allows the very effective use of boat fishing rod belts to anchor the base of the surf rod, allowing two hands now to operate rod and reel - essential when connected to an upset Copper shark heading for Brazil and weighing potentially up to 200kgs (450lbs) - though most top out at about 100kgs (220lbs).

This is what is generally known as the southern African surf fishing style, it is very rare that we see folks fishing with the reels high up the rods, and never after those anglers have caught even a moderate shark of 10-20kgs, as placing the long rod handle between the legs soon discourages that practice, as well as losing the angler a lot of control and power over the fish.

We have just had our 3 day National Selection trials to pick 8 teams to fish against South Africa in our coming summer, which will have 7 members in each team ranging from under 16's to over 60's, and ladies teams as well. Pretty much everyone on the beach (I was manager for our Lady anglers) were using 14' long rods, and all casting their own baits and fighting their own fish - no outside assistance, even for young lads of no more than 11 years old, all looking to engage with sharks.

The single biggest essence of the rods, is the length to gain distance when casting in the surf.

Bryan Young

Thank you Jeri.  It appears that the butt of the rod is about 18" from the reel seat...nothing more.  I presume then that most of the casting force is from above the reels seat, like the Australia open face reel (I cannot remember the name, but I think they recently went out of business) that swiveled when casting.  This differs from the US and likely UK style of casting were we have a longer butt section and the reel seat is the pivot point when we snap the butt section towards us to get more tip action when casting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

1badf350

Bryan I think you are talking about Alvey
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"

CapeFish

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 04, 2019, 02:31:06 PM
Thank you Jeri.  It appears that the butt of the rod is about 18" from the reel seat...nothing more.  I presume then that most of the casting force is from above the reels seat, like the Australia open face reel (I cannot remember the name, but I think they recently went out of business) that swiveled when casting.  This differs from the US and likely UK style of casting were we have a longer butt section and the reel seat is the pivot point when we snap the butt section towards us to get more tip action when casting.

You can get plenty of tip action with the rod at the bottom, you just snap  the same you would do with the reel at the top. The swivel point is where you want to make it, however high up the rod you want to move your upper hand, so it's not limited by the reel position. So you can use as wide a grip as you want. There are a number of youtube videos showing casting multipliers and spinners this way. In fact near all competition casters use the reel at the bottom so this must say something. And the power it gives you to work a fish is exceptional. I actually don't even want to imagine catching any of the big sharks I have landed with the butt between my legs or under my arm, standing like that for two or three hours cannot be fun, let alone trying to run after the fish with a long butt. It works really well.

Jeri

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 04, 2019, 02:31:06 PM

As a rod builder, we generally leave about 8" below the reel seat, just for convenience, and clearance from the butt pad - when reeling in. The 'reel up' or 'reel down' argument prevails and continues, although Cape Fish is right about it being a preference for tournament casts that are looking purely for distance. However, what we have found is that with the reel down, especially with 'spinners', is that the weight of the reel helps considerably with getting balance and power into the cast, as gravity is assisting with the mass of the reel. Pushing that same weight upwards as in a 'reel up' situation, actually detracts power from the caster - wasting physical energy pushing the reel up.

We tried this experiment with some lady casters/fishers, and they all found that it was easier to cast with the reel down, and they got much better distances - because the tackle becomes more balanced.

On the matter of Avley Sidecast reels, have built rods for them, either 'reel up' and 'reel down', it again is a personal preference of the angler.

As previously said, lots of different solutions to similar problems around the world, not all sort out one's own particular problem locally.

Riy2018

Riley,
The New Ocean Master Surf Rods from Bass Pro are the best things going.
Get one of those and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
[/quote]

Thank you. Unfortunately the Ocean Master Surf Rods 10F out of stock online. I will drive to CT or NJ stores.

Shark Hunter

I did a thorough testing of the new Ocean Master Rods the past two weeks.
Only spinning casts from the surf. No Senators or Kayaks this time.
I must say, I am pleasantly surprised with these rods.
They are robust.
I didn't catch anything over four feet, but it hossed them in like they were panfish.
I caught three sharpnose and my boy caught a Blacktip.
It was a joy, grabbing a rod, cooler, chair, tackle bag and bait and making one single trip to the beach and back.
I threw three and four ounce sputnicks with bait weighing just the same.
My direction is changing and I can't wait to try this again.
I brought the 10 and 11 footer this time. I'm taking the 11 and 12 next trip.
The bigger rods can really sling it out there.
I couldn't believe the difference just between the 10' and 11'.
IMG_0026 by Daron Dyer, on Flickr
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Thanks for the report Daron! the little guys are just as much fun, I'm sure you had a great time. ;)

Welcome back!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

Good job Darin!  Good to see some toothy critters on the sand.....could you describe how you rigged your terminal tackle....did you pin your bait and sling it with the lead?  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Jeri

Hi Daron,

Welcome to the surf casting shark anglers club ...............  :)

Often wondered why folks drag all that excess gear down to the beach to have some good sport with sharks - just a rod and reel and some bait is all that is really needed, leave the kayak, trolley, etc at home.

Seeing as you are now looking at longer rods, you should see an appreciable increase in distances cast; though up to a limit. It is why perhaps the local surf casting scene has long since been pretty confined to 14' and 15' - especially with fixed spool reels (spinners) and braid. The problem comes when the sharks start to get too big/heavy, then the very long rods do start to act as a lever against the angler. Often see that down here with sharks over 100lbs, they really do need a lot more work to get them beached with the long rods.

Personally, I find that 14'-6" is a very comfortable length, gives very good distance and still has sufficient pulling power to handle sub-100lb sharks. A small tip, as your casting starts to develop - look at a Breakaway Canon, or as they are known down here 'Bionic Finger', you can put a lot more power through the mechanical release than through your biological finger.

Tight Lines.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Dominick

Jeri, thanks for that info.  I just ordered one from a Canadian company.  I had never heard of one and it sure looks like a finger saver.  Cheers from Sunny California, Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I had my bionic fingers with me, but did not use them.
I do not like the fact that the only way you can attach these is with tape to the rod.
I have no problem putting tape on my finger.
It seemed to work best for me.
Even when I forgot my tape. Eight strand 100 lb braid is pretty Robust.
It will not cut when using the proper technique.
Life is Good!

oc1

Why not a big fat wind-on mono leader with FG knot to the braid?  Or, a wind-on furled leader?
-steve