2 piece 10' surf rod

Started by Shark Hunter, May 20, 2018, 06:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeFish

you can have the bionic finger permanently attached, bind it on like an eye. I have found that I reach the max of being able to hold down the line when I hit 4oz. I use a leather 1 finger glove for that. Anything heavier e.g. 60z sinkers and baits I find I end up doing lob casts if I use my finger. With a bionic finger you can give it horns. That's why a multiplier is so great for casting big baits, no need for extra gadgets, the grinder has many other advantages though. When I use long rods and struggle bringing in big sharks I just straight stick it to get it over the lip then it fights directly on the drag, just have to be careful the drag is not to tight. It gives you a breather as well. The last big one I caught was on the dropping tide and it was the only way I could get it over the bank into the shore break and then it took two of us to tail it onto the beach and to get it back had to lift it by the pec fins and tail.

Jeri

Bionic Fingers were originally developed over 20 years ago, deliberately because you could put more power through the cast - with nylon. Since then they have found infinite success down in southern Africa, now that folks have mostly changed over to fixed spool and braid and braid leader, especially for the shark guys launching out big sinkers and big baits.

I initially though they were a gimmick, until I really started to power cast with braid rods, now I would be bothered to use a rod without one, as they really do give you a huge increase in power through the rod. To the point now, on all our custom rods, we just price for building then straight onto the rods - whipped and resin in place. Even with lighter surf spinning rod - 12' and 3oz we use them as they are just so effective, that said we are getting about 140 metres out of those 'little' rods.

RowdyW

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 23, 2019, 06:49:23 AM
I had my bionic fingers with me, but did not use them.
I do not like the fact that the only way you can attach these is with tape to the rod.
I have no problem putting tape on my finger.
It seemed to work best for me.
Even when I forgot my tape. Eight strand 100 lb braid is pretty Robust.
It will not cut when using the proper technique.
Daron, try using ss small fuel line clamps or plastic ty-wraps to attach the finger. A couple of wraps of tape will protect the rod from marking with the clamps.      Rudy

Rivverrat

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 23, 2019, 06:49:23 AM

Even when I forgot my tape. Eight strand 100 lb braid is pretty Robust.
It will not cut when using the proper technique.

I have found when using braid 60 & over stuff said about it cutting your fingers during a cast hasn't held true true for me.

I guess if you work a desk all day or have surgeons hands,  soft as a baby's butt it might be a problem.

... Jeff