what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

Must be nice to get a senator after all those spinners.
So what's your theory on all the loose braid, lazy people at sporting good stores with line winders or just poor DIY jobs?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Ron Jones

I think it is ignorant people at Sporting Goods stores. Ask 12 of them how braid should be installed and you will get 12 answers and most all of them will end up with a reel looking like this. They'll never know the difference, most of the reels will never get that deep into the line the one day dad takes Timmy fishing.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Rivverrat

Quote from: Swami805 on May 29, 2018, 12:03:40 AM

So what's your theory on all the loose braid, lazy people at sporting good stores with line winders or just poor DIY jobs?

For what its worth I think this is something that has to happen after some use. Based on the fact that few fisher dudes have the skill required to place line on a spool in such a repeatable, miserable fashion shown in Alan's pics... Jeff

alantani

no one understands how important this is!   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CapeFish

you will have problems even if you wind mono on like that!

Tiddlerbasher

I now use hollow core braid for backing on a fly reel (much better with a spliced join rather than loop to loop) - but it still gets wound on properly under drag!

alantani

good morning, all!  it's nice to be working on a normal set of reels for a change!!!!!!

festus

Good ole Swedish Abus, one of my favorites.  Those on an Ugly Stik are probably the most popular reel 'round these parts for stripers and cats.

alantani

spoke too soon.  had to torch and pound out both bearings.   :-\

handi2

I was doing the same thing yesterday.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Gfish

What's a most common worst aspect of servicing/repairing Abu products?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

alantani

Ron Jones

Is it really worth it? Abu parts have never been spendy or hard to get, at least the few I have needed weren't. I applaud your determination but sometimes it seems like it's time to buy a part.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

it starts out being a matter of principle.  whether it stays that way is another issue.  :-\

alantani

starting the morning out right.  another abu garcia going back into a body bag.  i have a pinion gear, but no main gear.  does anyone have a main gear for 6500 c4?  this has a 6.3 to 1 gear ratio.  the reel foot number is 070109-35.  the pinion gear i have should be correct but was unlabeled and visually matched up.  just to be safe, maybe a main and pinion gear set would be safest.  let me know if anyone has a set, or even a main gear.  the main gear appears to be 23955 and the pinion is 23954. 

it looks like this is the schematic.  https://www.mikesreelrepair.com/content/schematics/Ambassadeur_6500C4_07_01.pdf