what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 27, 2018, 04:19:05 AM
Alan, is the spool rubbing on the Penn Torque in the center of the pic ?  ... Jeff

ah, i think it's because he's been putting his thumb on that spot!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Alan, from the looks of it in this close up I think your right.

Some of the wear of the anodized is on the line side of the spool. This would be the only exposed part of the spool edge when the spool shifts to the right after being egaged.

alantani

omg, he sent mostly spinning reels and i don't normally work on spinners!!!!!!  if they basically work but just need bearings or something standard, then i can take a look, but honestly he can likely replace them for less than what i would charge to fix then.  i will start with the few conventional reels in the box.  i want to see if he wants the unfixable reels back, or if i should just toss them.  what a mess!

alantani

here's a charter special from the box.  every bearing is bad.  i think i'm going to have to pack all of them with grease.   :-\

Shark Hunter

Those look like some cheap spinners.
I had a similar experience today.
Doing a brake job on my truck.
One of the caliper bolts was gone!
This blows me away.
I tightened these bolts myself replacing the calipers a few months ago.
What the Hell!
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

another braid repack job on an old okuma.  the reel itself is fine.  replaced the drags and repacked the braid.  bet you're starting to see a pattern here......   :-\

Rivverrat

Toss all those Shimano spinners & keep the box.

Lunker Larry

Quote from: alantani on May 26, 2018, 07:17:54 PM
looks like the line was loaded by a five year old.  sorry to be so harsh, but this stuff is basic.   >:(

I think when they spool up it appears tight but when under pressure it begins to distort due to being too soft and, as we know, cuts into itself. The spool looked relatively OK but this was hidden underneath when I removed the line. Never had one this bad before. Definitely a good example if you have to show anyone why you have to take care and properly spool your reel.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

alantani

better than new!!!!!

alantani

All done!!!!!!

alantani

Rivverrat

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 28, 2018, 03:34:51 AM
Those look like some cheap spinners.

I've bought Shimano Senoras for my son Luke in the past. Get about a season - season & half out of them. When working they are glass smooth in operation. Cranking & drag both. With Alan not being fond of spinners but happy with results of his rebuild I'm going to see if I can revive the several I have. I HATE THIS USE IT & TOSS IT AWAY THING !!

However these reels were cheap to buy & worked great for a short time... Jeff

Ron Jones

It blows me away that people will pay to have a Senator serviced. Its just not that hard people!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani