what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on June 26, 2018, 03:47:08 AM
work related hazards and fishing reel repair are not normally found in the same sentence, but i found a sharp edge on the aluminum side plate ring of one of the solterras (yeah, those again).  sliced deep into my right thumb, bled like crazy.  had to put about a half hour's worth of pressure on it to stop the bleeding, then found some old steri-strips, wrapped it up with a couple of bandaids and then flex wrap.  had alot of pressure on it at first.  didn't hurt at first and it's just throbbing now.  i'll check it tomorrow to see how the edges line up and decide if i need stitches or not.  gotta be more careful......
Yes boss you got to be more careful, but most times we can't help it.
Okuma should spend a little more time cleaning the sharp edges, this could have happened to anyone :-\.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

the torium 16/20/30's have single dogs.  the pinion gear is not supported by a bearing.  the bearing on the right side supports the right side of the spool, which i think is a better place for it. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 27, 2018, 04:43:13 AM

Yes boss you got to be more careful, but most times we can't help it.
Okuma should spend a little more time cleaning the sharp edges, this could have happened to anyone :-\.

Sal

it's healing up pretty good!

Alto Mare

Good, I'm glad.
No offense, but if you had my stonemason hands, you probably would have made that sharp edge smooth ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yeah, no argument there.....   ;D

sabaman1

Quote from: alantani on June 27, 2018, 05:24:06 PM
the torium 16/20/30's have single dogs.  the pinion gear is not supported by a bearing.  the bearing on the right side supports the right side of the spool, which i think is a better place for it. 
Thanks Alan! Hope your hand heals quickly.

Jim
JIM

theswimmer

I do my own stitches if it's not to deep.
I know you have good insurance brudda , go to the doc.
Please ?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

alantani

just checked it and it's healing up fine!   ;D

David Hall

So you won't be making an appointment for an amputation any time soon?

day0ne

I leave blood all over the place when I work on stuff. When working on cars, I got to the point that I felt it would be easier to just make a fist and hit the engine to get the bleeding out of the way.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Brewcrafter

Awesome video tutorial on the "stuck screw". 

alantani

back to basics.  if you were going to own one saltwater fishing reel, this would have to be it.

foakes

Quote from: alantani on July 02, 2018, 03:33:11 PM
back to basics.  if you were going to own one saltwater fishing reel, this would have to be it.

Yep, Alan —

We call that one "Ole Meat in the Pot".

Great work on all of those varied reels!

A Pro in action...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Gobi King

Quote from: alantani on July 02, 2018, 03:33:11 PM
  if you were going to own one saltwater fishing reel, this would have to be it.

Alan/Fred,
Pardon the newbie question, but which Penn reel is this?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!