what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

the bearing failed on the right side.  two balls got into the gears and the reel was locked up.  so it's a new gear set, a new bearing, a new clamp and 400 yards 40 pound mono and we're done. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

I think it might be a high speed Senator 112H — which is a 3/0 size.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

scrinch

Quote from: alantani on July 02, 2018, 05:18:55 PM
the bearing failed on the right side.  two balls got into the gears and the reel was locked up.  so it's a new gear set, a new bearing, a new clamp and 400 yards 40 pound mono and we're done.  
What do the gears look like after that happens? Little burrs, or big chunks taken out?

RowdyW

112h= 300 yds of 30# mono  113h = 370 yds of 40# mono ;D ;D

alantani

trinidad 12.  found the problem!

wfjord

Quote from: alantani on July 02, 2018, 03:33:11 PM
back to basics.  if you were going to own one saltwater fishing reel, this would have to be it.
Quote from: RowdyW on July 02, 2018, 06:58:58 PM
112h= 300 yds of 30# mono  113h = 370 yds of 40# mono ;D ;D

I bought two new Senators in 1982 --a 113H and a black 114.  So far the black one is the only reel I've ever sold.  The red one stays.

alantani

another reel ahead of its time, the penn 25 gls.  don't forget, it you overtighten the side plate screws, you will lose freespool!

theswimmer

Quote from: alantani on July 02, 2018, 10:29:04 PM
trinidad 12.  found the problem!

I'm kinda thick Alan . Could you explain pls?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Tiddlerbasher

It looks like the spool bearing is toast ;)

alantani

alantani

houston, we've got a problem.  the side plate was over-tightened and everything was cracked.  chances are that the side plate screws were used to seat the side plate.  anyone got an extra 980 left side plate?  i could trade for a 990 left side plate!

alantani

yeah, you can see the old glue.  there was a previous attempt to glue this together.  

alantani

ok, 3mm stainless steel washers and longer screws and it's done.  i hope the owner doesn't mind the look. 

Tiddlerbasher

He should be grateful Alan - he now has a repaired reel at a lower cost than could have been.

alantani

i think what happened was that someone tried to seat the let side plate using the side plate screws.  the plastic is not reinforced in any way and it likely just cracked under the pressure.  there was a clear attempt to glue it back together.  i have serviced reels for this gentleman before and was concerned that it was something that i might have done long ago, but the reel had no trademarks of my work.  it even had the old green smoothie drags. 

if anyone has a side plate that they would like to sell, i imagine that the customer would consider it!