what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

never seen a shattered belleville before.  at least not like this!  good thing it didn't damage the gears!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: alantani on July 06, 2018, 02:26:58 PM
i think what happened was that someone tried to seat the let side plate using the side plate screws.  the plastic is not reinforced in any way and it likely just cracked under the pressure.  there was a clear attempt to glue it back together.  i have serviced reels for this gentleman before and was concerned that it was something that i might have done long ago, but the reel had no trademarks of my work.  it even had the old green smoothie drags. 

if anyone has a side plate that they would like to sell, i imagine that the customer would consider it!

Alan, I have an extra 970.  Not sure what it's worth. Any idea?

alantani

i will forward your contact info to him.  it's an easy fix, so i'm sure he would be able to take care of it.  thanks!!!!!!

Reel 224

Alan: I think that belleville Washer was work hardened and that is why it shattered.

Joe 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

my afternoon....... 

MarkT

You should start up a new one of these threads each month.  What's coming off the bench for July.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

CooldadE

Someone likes those Squidders .That looks like Squidder Heaven...
I've got a few, never use them... what do you guys use yours for ???

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

handi2

I'm just glad to see you hard at it. My shop stays full every month and I sure need a break.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

Quote from: CooldadE on July 06, 2018, 09:14:38 PM
That looks like Squidder Heaven...

or squidder hell...... 

yeah, finished seven reels, still had two that went into body bags, need two 146 spools and a 140 or 146 right side plate.  if anyone has spares, please let me know.  i know this is nearing blasphemy, but for me some of the hardest reels to get right have been the old penns.  maybe i'm too picky.  you know how having 4 wheel drive just means you get farther out before you get stuck.  between the expanding or brittle bakelite, the corroded chrome and the aftermarket parts, these old reels can be an absolute nightmare.  every reel had a different problem (or three), every reel needed a different solution, every reel had to come apart and back together at least three times, and every reel took at least an hour.  didn't finish until after 9pm last night, so, yeah, an hour each.  still gotta get these rigged.  i'll be happy to ship out the first seven. 

if anyone has a spare 146 spool, i need two, and a right side plate.  thanks!  alan

alantani

Quote from: MarkT on July 06, 2018, 08:23:06 PM
You should start up a new one of these threads each month.  What's coming off the bench for July.

i'm trying to catch up with bennie!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on July 07, 2018, 03:14:27 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D  you are on a roll Jefe.

The Baja Guy

nelz

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 28, 2018, 08:45:19 PMIt blows me away that people will pay to have a Senator serviced. Its just not that hard people! Ron

Getting the dog & spring to stay in place upon re-assembly on the older Penns can be a challenge. That's when they'll cry uncle and pay up, lol.

Swami805

That's funny,the only reels I'm confident fixing are penns and newells. the 1st time I tried a trinidad I took the star off and little clicker thing went flying. Packed them up and sent them to you
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

i'm feeling like my chi is not strong today.  all three reels had gear problems.  nothing is lining up right.  i've seen plenty of progears with gear issues, the pacificas being the worst, but it's rare to have an old ambassadeur with these problems.  this particular one was dredged up from the bay, so a new gear set, drags and bearings are already more than the reel is worth. 

Benni3

Quote from: alantani on July 07, 2018, 03:14:27 PM

I can never catch up with you   :) one of your tunas  weighs more than all of the trout get in a year :D,,,,  ;D