what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

spent this last weekend repacking braid and tying on topshots.  over 30 reels!  local guys have figured out this is the best place, and the cheapest, for this kind of work. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

and then monday i pulled out the boat with the idea of fishing wednesday and friday.  i topped off the fuel tanks and notice that the brakes were funky.  i decided to park it out tuesday overnight.  at 5am, local law enforcement saw the boat in front of the house, facing the wrong direction.  guess he couldn't resist writing me a ticket.  checked the brakes and found a hose dangling.   

the boat will spend the next week at the shop for brake work and a half dozen minor maintenance items - two live well pumps to replace, four hinges, and three switches to name a few.  ben and i go to port hardy on tuesday, returning home on saturday.  the boat should be done when i return. 

alantani

big push to finish reels before leaving for vancouver.  more party boat reels!

alantani

lucky just to get this one apart!

thorhammer

Nasty reel.    you got a ticket? That's the best use of the police's time???? He should be hunting down Bryan's stolen Newell.....

handi2

Especially with the screws they use....
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Benni3

Great job,,,that had to be a fun trip Alan  ;D

Shark Hunter

Quote from: thorhammer on July 26, 2018, 04:34:02 PM
Nasty reel.    you got a ticket? That's the best use of the police's time???? He should be hunting down Bryan's stolen Newell.....
I still scour the Web for that reel.
I love the police, I get pulled over at least once a month on the way home from work.
They always let me go, because I'm not the fish they are after.
When you drive a 1989 Pick up, I guess they think you are up to no good.
You crossed the yellow line, You were going 5 miles over the speed limit, Your tags are expired. (By One Day!)
You have a bad tail light. You didn't Signal.(There was no one in the four way to signal and the tail light was on order)
I guess it is a good thing, because there really are a lot of people up to no good. I just deal with it.
I just say Yes Sir, No Sir, No, I have not been Drinking. I am coming from Work. So you sure you haven't been drinking?
No Sir, I Don't Drink at work.
Yea, That is really how it went just three weeks ago. ::)
They run my tags, Registration and Insurance while my beer is getting warm. ;)
Yes Sir, No Sir goes a long way. I just want to go home and drink a beer after work. ;D
Protect and Serve!
Life is Good!

Gfish

Yep. Honolulu this last weekend. My parking ticket was for not being 4' away from the driveways in back n front a my rental, about 2 min. after I went to check in. The more urban a place, the more nit-picky the laws. Gotta generate some income for the city!...? Paid by mail and attached an angry note about a better option for an obvious "out-of-towner" being a warning ticket. Quotas?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JRD

Quote from: alantani on July 26, 2018, 04:25:01 PM
lucky just to get this one apart!

Alan I've read a lot of your tutorials.  What's the best way you have found to wash the crude off of the large parts?  I normally wait until the better half isn't looking and fill the sink with hot water and dish detergent then go after them with a tooth brush.  The only issue is it takes time for the pieces (thread holes) to fully dry without the use of compressed air.  On any given day I have 3 or 4 reels drying in my bay window and normally takes a day or two.

alantani

i don't have the luxury of time to use an ultrasonic cleaner anymore.  if it's really bad, i'll spray it with corrosion x to keep down the dust, then chisel or chip away with dental picks or the sharpened ends of flat screwdrivers to remove the crud, then scrub with old toothbrushes.  by far the fastest is to go after stainless steel parts, and even some chromed parts, with the wire wheel side of a grinder.  i have to do all of these quickly because the line is so long.  i spent 8 hours yesterday working on the last 6 reels from the yokomizu brothers.  i now have only one more to go.  it's an old aluminum bodied daiwa sealine. 

remember those picture games when we were kids?  yeah, the ones where you had to find the various items in a pile of stuff?  well, there's a dental pick, an old screwdriver use to scrape things, an old swiss army knife, and a toothbrush.  these are all the things i use to clean corrosion out of reels.   

thorhammer

ow. sometimes that's the only way to go.

Jim Fujitani

And you forgot to list the ELBOW GREASE!!

alantani

spent saturday on the bay this time.   a friend of mine had asked if he could use the boat to spread the ashes of a dear friend in mccovy cove.  his friend had been a big sf giants fan and this was her final wish.  we launched out of south san francisco and headed north along the old waterfront.  

it was an easy run to the ballpark.  they had a very nice ceremony all planned.  

we took a quick scenic tour of the bay, then back to the launch ramp.  they took in an evening game and sadly watched the giants lose (again!).  the way it worked out, i actually would have had time to run for salmon in the morning!  guys all came in early with limits!  nice day on the water!

Gfish

Always used to see guys anchored in the cove during games, very close to the boardwalk/stadium. A line out, a beer open, the TV on and a net ready for home run balls
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!