what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joao Tavares

Quote from: alantani on July 31, 2018, 04:27:33 AM
ok, last reel tonight!  i've gotta get this reel packaged up to ship and them finish packing myself.  i'm headed to vancouver tomorrow.  the reel is headed to east timor via portugal!  i found a perfect steel main gear inside.  i added a stainless steel gear sleeve, a stainless steel dog, my 5/0 grip and stainless steel arm, and 400 yards of 60# big game.  i guess this makes it kind of a unique reel.  except for the plain steel main gear, the entire drivetrain is stainless steel. 

And guess what? Today, that reel landed in my hands in Oé-Cusse, East Timor, after transit through Portugal. Absolutely magnificent work and effort by Alan Tani. Once again, thank you very much.

alantani

glad the reel made it safely!!!!!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

here is what we use for big fish.  it's the makaira 50 two speed.  it's loaded with 700 yards of alternating colors of 130 pound jerry brown hollow core, then a topshot of 130 pound pink seaguar fluorocarbon.  the drags are set to 45 pounds at strike and 65 pounds at full.  that is the 30% strika and 50% full settings that i look for in a reel.  get a 100 pound spring scale and check your drags.  the penn international 50 vsx and visx should give you a similar performance.  if you actually do test your reel, let me know what your results are! 

alantani

I never bothered shimming the right spool bearing before,  but decided to try it this time. The outside diameter is 12mm and the thickness needed us 1.65mm. I still wish I could own the division of shimano that made all of the graphite reels.

swill88

Quote from: alantani on August 26, 2018, 01:43:24 AM
I never bothered shimming the right spool bearing before,  but decided to try it this time. The outside diameter is 12mm and the thickness needed us 1.65mm. I still wish I could own the division of shimano that made all of the graphite reels.

Make them an offer Alan...They want your name on their brand... Shimano Nisei AT...

alantani

Quote from: alantani on August 25, 2018, 05:48:20 AM
here is what we use for big fish.  it's the makaira 50 two speed.  it's loaded with 700 yards of alternating colors of 130 pound jerry brown hollow core, then a topshot of 130 pound pink seaguar fluorocarbon.  the drags are set to 45 pounds at strike and 65 pounds at full.  that is the 30% strika and 50% full settings that i look for in a reel.  get a 100 pound spring scale and check your drags.  the penn international 50 vsx and visx should give you a similar performance.  if you actually do test your reel, let me know what your results are! 

i think that the drag setting numbers will really be an eye opener for people,,  some people set the drags by feel and have no idea what their true drag numbers are.  other people measure the drag at strike but have no idea what the progression looks like.  what i have started doing is to check the drags at several different points so that you know how quickly the drag ramps up.  this can be critical when you have a hot running yellowfin and you want to ease the drag pressure up to drag the circle hook into the corner of his mouth.  it also helps when you have this fish doing a death circle and you're having trouble lifting him.  i look for a 30% drag setting at strike and a 50% setting at full.  you can check your own reel and use these stickers as a reminder for yourself or anyone else using your reel so that there is no question.  you may find that your favorite older reel does not deliver this level of performance.  measuring the drag and using the stickers will give you the entire drag profile of your reel.  it can be a big help when you are deciding whether to push the drag lever forward or not!

alantani

Quote from: swill88 on August 26, 2018, 03:40:15 AM
I never bothered shimming the right spool bearing before,  but decided to try it this time. The outside diameter is 12mm and the thickness needed us 1.65mm. I still wish I could own the division of shimano that made all of the graphite reels.

Make them an offer Alan...They want your name on their brand... Shimano Nisei AT...

i was thinking more of "alaskan" series.  or just "A" series and just let everyone try to figure out the the "A" stands for.   ;D

Joao Tavares

I never bothered shimming the right spool bearing before,  but decided to try it this time. The outside diameter is 12mm and the thickness needed us 1.65mm. I still wish I could own the division of shimano that made all of the graphite reels.

Did you do it to get rid of the annoying losing free spoll when tilting to the right?
Did you achieve the goal?
João

alantani

Joao Tavares

So now you know what my next question is:

- How do I find out what shim I need for my Tyrnos 50II 2speed LRS? How do I figure the shim measures required? IDXODXTh

And after I know what shim I need, where do I get them? Are they SS or Delrin or....?
João

Ron Jones

I just turn the star more or less.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

here is what we use for big fish.  it's the makaira 50 two speed.  it's loaded with 700 yards of alternating colors of 130 pound jerry brown hollow core, then a topshot of 130 pound pink seaguar fluorocarbon.  the drags are set to 45 pounds at strike and 65 pounds at full.  that is the 30% strika and 50% full settings that i look for in a reel.  get a 100 pound spring scale and check your drags.  the penn international 50 vsx and visx should give you a similar performance.  if you actually do test your reel, let me know what your results are!  
very good Idea Alan, where do you get those stickers?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 26, 2018, 09:55:17 AM
here is what we use for big fish.  it's the makaira 50 two speed.  it's loaded with 700 yards of alternating colors of 130 pound jerry brown hollow core, then a topshot of 130 pound pink seaguar fluorocarbon.  the drags are set to 45 pounds at strike and 65 pounds at full.  that is the 30% strika and 50% full settings that i look for in a reel.  get a 100 pound spring scale and check your drags.  the penn international 50 vsx and visx should give you a similar performance.  if you actually do test your reel, let me know what your results are!  
very good Idea Alan, where do you get those stickers?

http://www.onecooltuna.com/

alantani

Quote from: Joao Tavares on August 26, 2018, 06:46:53 AM
So now you know what my next question is:

- How do I find out what shim I need for my Tyrnos 50II 2speed LRS? How do I figure the shim measures required? IDXODXTh

And after I know what shim I need, where do I get them? Are they SS or Delrin or....?
João

measure the outside diameter of the right side spool bearing.  if it's a stainless steel shim washer that i have, i can simply put it in a plain letter envelope and mail it to you!

nelz

Quote from: alantani on August 26, 2018, 03:14:11 PMmeasure the outside diameter of the right side spool bearing.  if it's a stainless steel shim washer that i have, i can simply put it in a plain letter envelope and mail it to you!

Alan, what side of the bearing does the shim go on?