what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

I love the 5, 10, and 15 LD's!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rivverrat

Quote from: foakes on October 03, 2018, 05:17:12 AM
I love the 5, 10, and 15 LD's!

Best,

Fred

Only Shimanos I reelly like & use... Jeff 

Frank

Quote from: Ron Jones on September 09, 2018, 05:48:11 PM
Those gold two on the bottom, there the business!
Ron

You got that right!!!
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Gfish

Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rivverrat

Quote from: Gfish on October 03, 2018, 08:53:46 PM
Still alota graphite though.

There is, but for rough use reels that lay in the bottom of a small boat while headed out or tossed in the back of a pickup uncovered, loaner reels etc.  they work great. I've never cracked a frame on any of them... Jeff

redsetta

Let's not forget the venerable BeastMaster 30/50 and 50/80 - where it all began!  ;)
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Jigtosser

An old school reel for sure, !  :D
Helped Shimano on tuning the drags for left coast Tuna, The Beasts of Guadalupe, we're too much for the original drag curve, many people were not on board with the new line...Spectra!

Many were splashed, a back up rig put to the test,  fun times...
Great Reels, they have caught more than expected over the years...
I still think they are overlooked my many, they have caught many Big Tuna before the Accurates and Avets
Small 2sp's took over the market.
Dan

Joao Tavares

Quote from: alantani on May 24, 2018, 04:55:31 AM
i started out here in the garage at 7am and it's now 10pm.  time really flies when you are doing something that you enjoy!

Yeah, I hear you. That Islay single malt peeted flavour is a killer. Already own quite a few square inches of land over there.

Didn't know it was popular thing in your neck of the woods :)

alantani

i can hardly believe i'm saying this, but the penn vsx line is now officially old school! still a great reel, though. a friend shipped two of these 16 vsx's to me 6 months ago and i'm finally just not getting to them. i did the standard lube and bearing service, then realized two things. one, the reels were loaded with 700 yards of 65 pound solid power pro. easy fix. i peeled off the old line and loaded them with 450 yards of 80 pound hollow seaguar threadlock and a 50 yard topshot of 80 pound berkley big game. then the second thing. when i went to set the drags, i got a nasty surprise. the reel jumped from 25 pounds at strike to 60 pounds at full. the bellevilles in these new reels were configured "(())." when i switched them to "()()," i got 15 pounds at "2," 25 pounds at "strike," and 40 pounds at "full." perfect! oh, yeah, and i changed out the handle grip.

so what you are looking at now is a near perfect 80 pound reel with a 500 yard line capacity, a 30% drag setting at strike and a 50% drag setting at full. and the prices are coming down. so what makes this reel "old school?" it's not silent when you crank like the okuma makaira and the new penn visx. the spring loaded dogs make a "ratchety" noise when you crank. if the noise doesn't bother you, go get one! the steadily progressive drag curve might make the old vsx's the best "old school" reels!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

ok, this comes under the category of "kids, don't try this a home."

alantani

that was only part of the shipment.  when all finished, it looked like this.  uggh, you're looking at a day and a half's worth of work!   :-[

Ron Jones

Quote from: alantani on October 25, 2018, 01:30:37 AM
ok, this comes under the category of "kids, don't try this a home."

I've started with a pile that looks just like that on that table and ended up with a couple reels! It just calls you to it.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Tiddlerbasher

Nice job Boss. I noticed the Suntory 'liverners' in the background - luv it :)
I recently had bought for me a lovely Roku Gin from the Suntory distillery - absolutely gorgeous with a Fevertree tonic!

alantani

it's been a while since i've cracked open a big avet.  there are four total in line.  after a standard service, the line will be repacked and i will see what kind of drag ranges we get!

alantani

ok, stock, i got 30 pounds at strike before losing freespool.  this is on a 3 speed avet 50!!!! i changed around the bellevilles and got 20 at bait, 40 at strike and 50 at full.  i was looking for 40 at strike and 60 at full, but at this point i will take what i can get.