what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy247

Quotemy reel held one weeks pay check  Grin

That's awesome dude... ;D

oc1

When was the last time anyone fishing for anything needed that much line?  Never in history, I suspect.
-steve

nelz

Quote from: oc1 on November 15, 2018, 07:48:40 AMWhen was the last time anyone fishing for anything needed that much line?  Never in history, I suspect.
-steve

Ya never know when you might hook up to a left-over Megalodon! Hey, everybody thought the Coelacanth was history.

Benni3

Quote from: nelz on November 15, 2018, 06:26:56 PM
Quote from: oc1 on November 15, 2018, 07:48:40 AMWhen was the last time anyone fishing for anything needed that much line?  Never in history, I suspect.
-steve

Ya never know when you might hook up to a left-over Megalodon! Hey, everybody thought the Coelacanth was history.
"tilikum" was on my bucket list,,,like jaws,,but alot bigger,,,,and with a warped sense humor  :o ;D

alantani

back to basics.  these jigmasters were upgraded with a carbontex drag under the main gear, a stainless steel gear sleeve, and a jigmaster power handle.  i'll load these with straight 30 pound mono and set the drags to 6 pounds.  they should be able to cover 90% of the inshore saltwater fishing that california has to offer!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

Quote from: alantani on November 16, 2018, 11:06:11 PM
.......... i'll load these with straight 30 pound mono and set the drags to 6 pounds.  they should be able to cover 90% of the inshore saltwater fishing that california has to offer!

6# drag?

no wonder my abu 6500c3 with 8# drag is my favorite reels for shore fishing and sometimes I use it for inshore too, for inshore I prefer my Komodo 364
The Baja Guy

alantani

6 pounds is just a random number because i don't know what kind of fishing he is going to be doing. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: steelfish on November 17, 2018, 12:04:19 AM
Quote from: alantani on November 16, 2018, 11:06:11 PM
.......... i'll load these with straight 30 pound mono and set the drags to 6 pounds.  they should be able to cover 90% of the inshore saltwater fishing that california has to offer!

6# drag?

no wonder my abu 6500c3 with 8# drag is my favorite reels for shore fishing and sometimes I use it for inshore too, for inshore I prefer my Komodo 364

The Jigmaqster is rated at 17lbs max by Penn, we do a little better here with our upgrades.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

yeah, he didn't want to go with braid, just straight 30 pound mono.  that limits the range a little. 

Benni3

Quote from: alantani on November 17, 2018, 12:17:14 AM
6 pounds is just a random number because i don't know what kind of fishing he is going to be doing. 
I love this tread for what Alan's drag vs line test,,,,,in freshwater light drag 3lb to 6lb the best,,,,you don't want to pull a hook ;D

alantani

i know it seems like i pick of avet alot, but i can't let this one pass either. here's a 3-speed pro ex/80. look at the numbers - 30 pounds at bait, 50 pounds at strike and 40 pounds in between. this is the maximum drag before losing freespool. the rotor is down in the lowest position and i even changed out the bellevilles to heavier ones. that part is ok, but with 50 pounds at strike, this reel only delivers 55 pounds at full. i was expecting 75 pounds at full. this is all about the drag cam. i can't fix this. well, i already tried with the heavier bellevilles and this was all i got. you all know the 30/50 mantra. yeah, a 30% drag setting at strike, so that would be 50 pounds with a 150 pound topshot. and a 50% drag setting at full, so 75 pounds at full. it's the cam. i can monkey with bellevilles, and i did, but i can't fix the cam. only the manufacturer can. now, this is only one reel. if anyone else out there has this reel and a 100 pound scale, give the reel a tug and tell me what you get. i'd be much happier if i was told that this reel was a fluke, or just defective.

:-\

mikeysm

Also I have a pro ex50 3 speed. It should be the same drag .

Mike

alantani

ok, here's the accurate 50. i've set it up as a "100 pound class" reel. that means 30 pounds at strike. so there are two problems. one, the drag at full is barely 40 pounds. i'm using a 40 pound sticker only because i don't have a sticker that says 37. secondly, from free the drag immediately jumps to 20 pounds. if a fish picks up your bait, you've got to be really careful about not slamming the lever too far forward too quickly or you'll yank that circle hook right out of his mouth. so basically, the cam takes a big jump from free to 20 pounds at bait, then a slow crawl from 20 pounds at bait, to 30 pounds at strike, to 37 pounds at full. ideally, i would like to see a steady even progression from 10 at bait, to 20 to 30 at strike, to 40, to 50 at full for a 100 pound class reel. but then, that's just me.

Tightlines667

It seems to me like there may be a market for modified cams on several reel models that are out there.  Changing the bellevilles can only get you so far.  Some reels allow for more flexability in modifying drag curves by belleville changes while others don't allow for much change here. 

The EX series could use a slightly steeper cam at the high end (above strike), while the Avets TREX, and Accurate twin drag reels may need a more linear (less steep cam initially. 

It takes quite a bit of time to order replacement cams, and try to modify cams to achieve the drag curve you are after for a given reel. 

Your 33% @ strike, 50% @ full of line class is a great rule of thumb, but some of the new smaller reels are being fished accross a wider range of line classes with spectra.  This makes it difficult to create ideal drag curves for all possabilities.  I suspect if tested accross multiple absolute drag settings, you will find a more suitable (30%-50%) curve at a given setting (likely lower than what you want (find ideal) to fish.  I have ran into the oposite problem sometimes too, where 50 class reels have too steep of a curve when fishing straight 50lb mono, or 50class topshots.  Sometimes they are good/more linear from free to strike (0-20b), but jump way too much above strike (like 38-40lb on full). 

It would be nice if we had cam/belleville arrangements available and sorted out for desired topshot line class on different model reels.

80 and 130 class reels which are designed more for straight mono tend to be 'good to go' with stock cam/belleville configs.

It's the 50 and smaller reels that tend to vary significantly from model to model. 

Publishing drag curves for different models us useful to the consumer.

Just my opinion.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

mikeysm

My Avet hx raptor has a choice of two cams. I ordered the more progressive cam and installed it. It seems much more usable than the one it came with.

Mike