what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

haven't done up one of these in a long time.  it's a topless frame for the charter special that tom makes up custom for me, plus the stainless steel arm and 3/0 grip.  if holds 300 yards of 50 pound daiwa j-braid.  nice inshore reel!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

Oh WOW !   No Shimano fan but that there would make for a nice reel.  Arent these like the TLD'S

alantani

the frames for the TR1000 and TR2000 basically turn the charter specials into TLD 5's and 10's. 

alantani

the accurate valiants have been out for a while.  i'm curious to know how well they've held up.  it's a pretty simple design.  it has the same small pair of anti-reverse roller bearings found in the old boss (pre-extreme) two speed reels, the same shielded bearings, the same tiny frame screws and the same tiny gear teeth.  the new thing i see is the open drag system, similar to the avet.  i'm guessing spool bearing failure, AR bearing failure and shredded gears would be pretty common.   :-\

handi2

Alan the ones I have been through had rusted pinion, spool, pinion gear, and drag pressure plate rust.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

an old school penn 349!  i changed out the old gear sleeve for a stainless steel one, then put a #6-875 penn ht-100 drag washer under the main gear and five #6-115's inside.  i installed a pair of #6-115's into the main gear, then a keyed metal washer, then two more #6-115's, then a slotted metal washer, then one #6-115 and then the final keyed metal washer.  the main gear has a slight rub against the side plate, but it goes away when the star is clamped down a little.  this is the most economical way to upgrade the drag stack. 

MarkT

Accurate is proud of the ARB's in the Boss Valiants and swear they're much better than in the old reels. I've had my BV-300 since soon after they came out and my only issue was the drag ramped up too fast and the lever was hard to advance. They put one of the newer cams in and it's been fine.  I have 300 yds of 50# Maxcuatro with a 40# topshot.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

uggghhhhh!!!!  this is really bad.  i found a box from this last july with a saltiga and a torsa.  the saltiga was tedious but very straight forward.  the torsa as well, very straight forward.  it's interesting how this shimano is so simple, yet so horribly expensive!  i'm going to finish this one next and get it shipped back asap. 

alantani

earlier today i knocked out an old saltist.  these are a great reel and a great price.  it was the accurate atd 50 that took most of the afternoon.  they're not hard. just tedious.

Fishy247

I serviced a couple of Saltists earlier this year that looked even worse than that. I found that after getting all of the salt out of it, everything was pretty much perfect! No corrosion or pitting and everything operated the way it should. Very good, durable reels!

alantani

here's an old saltiga 30T.  great reel, just really expensive!  it holds 300 yards of 50 pound daiwa j-braid.  i'll add a 40# topshot and we're done!!!!!!

Reel 224

Nice Alan. It's been a busy year so far for me too. I took the day off to help Ruth with shopping and house work. I'm done!

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

this one arrived in a body bag......

Frank

Quote from: alantani on December 28, 2018, 05:52:25 AM
the accurate valiants have been out for a while.  i'm curious to know how well they've held up.  it's a pretty simple design.  it has the same small pair of anti-reverse roller bearings found in the old boss (pre-extreme) two speed reels, the same shielded bearings, the same tiny frame screws and the same tiny gear teeth.  the new thing i see is the open drag system, similar to the avet.  i'm guessing spool bearing failure, AR bearing failure and shredded gears would be pretty common.   :-\

Good morning Alan and Handi,

Should I take your observations to mean a thumbs down on the Valiants? If so what Accurate reel would you recommend?

Frank
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

thorhammer

Quote from: alantani on January 11, 2019, 05:55:14 AM
this one arrived in a body bag......

Booooooo......but worthy of your attention!!!!