what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

You have my address :)

6500 received; I'll take them all day like that to fish with at $30! My fav LMB reel is the 5500C of the same vintage and bluish plates; about 1973 I believe. Thanks!

alantani

this one is going home to texas!   ;D

Alto Mare

Nice job Boss! any comments on that 990?...how do you feel about them?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 11, 2019, 05:21:26 PM
Nice job Boss! any comments on that 990?...how do you feel about them?

Sal

nice reels, big drags, i just worry about the spool a little.  i'd hate to see it blow under too much load.  it holds 300 yards of 30 pound test and i set to drag to 6 pounds.  hopefully there won't be a problem. 

handi2

Quote from: Frank on January 11, 2019, 12:31:32 PM
Quote from: alantani on December 28, 2018, 05:52:25 AM
the accurate valiants have been out for a while.  i'm curious to know how well they've held up.  it's a pretty simple design.  it has the same small pair of anti-reverse roller bearings found in the old boss (pre-extreme) two speed reels, the same shielded bearings, the same tiny frame screws and the same tiny gear teeth.  the new thing i see is the open drag system, similar to the avet.  i'm guessing spool bearing failure, AR bearing failure and shredded gears would be pretty common.   :-\

Good morning Alan and Handi,

Should I take your observations to mean a thumbs down on the Valiants? If so what Accurate reel would you recommend?

Frank

I like them a lot. Small powerful reels. Just take care of them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

nelz

Quote from: alantani on January 11, 2019, 07:22:45 PMi just worry about the spool a little.  i'd hate to see it blow under too much load.

I've never seen one of these, I assumed the spool was pretty much like a Jigmaster 500. Not the case?

Alto Mare

Not to disagree with the Boss, in my opinion,  this particular spool is actually stronger than the Jigmaster.
I've seen the anodizing fail on some, but that could have been from poor maintenance.
The spool shaft is also beefier, it is actually the same diameter as the 6/0.
These reels are overbuilt.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 12, 2019, 01:34:11 AM
Not to disagree with the Boss, in my opinion,  this particular spool is actually stronger than the Jigmaster.
I've seen the anodizing fail on some, but that could have been from poor maintenance.

Sal

oh, no, the spool should be fine under normal use.  it's just that, if there ever was a problem, you'd never be able to replace it.  most parts on the reel are at zero risk of damage.  there are a few parts that can be replaced even if they are, but the spool is just not one of those! 

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on January 12, 2019, 02:24:40 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on January 12, 2019, 01:34:11 AM

Sal

oh, no, the spool should be fine under normal use.  it's just that, if there ever was a problem, you'd never be able to replace it.  most parts on the reel are at zero risk of damage.  there are a few parts that can be replaced even if they are, but the spool is just not one of those! 
Oh, I should have known that's what you meant, Boss and that is a valid argument.
Parts for these are getting very hard to find, I could probably help the first 2 dozen, but they would need to purchase the complete reel or the rest would be worthless🙂.

Sal

thorhammer

I bought mine as close-out in 1995 for $57 NIB....I'd have taken a pallet load if they had them....

alantani

a little tedious to work on, but it's a great little reel!

alantani

it's a mess inside.....

thorhammer