what's coming off the bench......

Started by alantani, May 21, 2018, 07:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

just finished going through a penn 20 visx. very nice reel. i cracked it open and cleaned out some of the excess grease, opened up and relubed the spool bearings, greased the drags with cal's grease and rigged it up. it held a total of 600 yards of 100 pound jb hollow. the spool was first scrubbed with a lightly greased toothbrush, then i wrapped a couple of layers of flex wrap around the arbor and set the line tension to 20 pounds, which is two thirds of the strike drag. it was rigged in 100 yard sections - red, yellow, green, white, blue and white. then i added a 25 yard topshot of 100 pound seaguar pink fluoro. here's where it gets interesting. i set the drag to 50 pounds (or 50% of the line weight) at full, then checked the drag at different settings. full, of course, was 50 pounds, the number 4 position was 40 pounds, the number three position was 30 pounds, number 2 was 20 pounds, and the number 1 position was 10 pounds. yes, the drag curve was perfect. only this reel and the okuma makaira will give you a drag curve like this. penn, well done!!!!! oh, and ray, your reel is ready.......

Alto Mare

Forgive my stupidity, Boss. Don't all reels do that? or is this the case of having it in-sync with the numbers on the plate?

Another word, couldn't I mark my own and be just as effective on any reel?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

unfortunately, the cam designs are all over the board.  many ramp up too fast and then go flat.  you get too much drag at the beginning and yank the hook out of the fish's mouth.  and then at the end, you go from 30% at strike to maybe 37% instead of 50% and you can't lift him.  it's a big problem that i never understood until i started looking at the entire drag range. 

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on January 24, 2019, 06:54:14 PM
unfortunately, the cam designs are all over the board.  many ramp up too fast and then go flat.  you get too much drag at the beginning and yank the hook out of the fish's mouth.  and then at the end, you go from 30% at strike to maybe 37% instead of 50% and you can't lift him.  it's a big problem that i never understood until i started looking at the entire drag range. 
I was not aware it would be that much off. could those that are all over the place be fine tuned, or is it just a bad design?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

I've always struggled with International 50SW IIs and their 'unusual' cam ramp up (there seem to be lots in NZ).
I generally load these with about 950yds of 50lb mono.
Setting 'Full' at 25lbs (ie 50%) gives a strike in the single figures.
Setting 'Strike' at ~17lbs (ie 30%) ramps up to 25lbs (50%) just on the other side of the strike button, then 50lbs+ (100%+) at full.
I've tried belleville replacement, configuration changes, shimming etc, but there's no changing the underlying cam shape.
I've heard Cal can fix the drag curve on these reels, but I assume he's reshaping the cam?
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

alantani

all you do is cut the ramp.  it's just that there has never been a standard.  no one has ever said with loud enough voice, "this is what i want."

alantani

these four reels were dropped off in july of last year.  they are finally done.   :-\

nelz

Quote from: alantani on January 25, 2019, 12:15:01 AMall you do is cut the ramp.  it's just that there has never been a standard.  no one has ever said with loud enough voice, "this is what i want."

Then there's that Shimano that you can buy different cams for depending on your needs. Torsa I think it's called? VERY expensive reel though.  :o

Ron Jones

Wow!
I wasn't sure if those were actually reels for service or donated! :)

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

alantani

these were started on monday and finally finished on friday.  yup, five solid days for just these few reels.  getting these newells to work right can really be tough. 

Alto Mare

Wow Alan, what a spread. they belong to one person?

Sal

Darin Crofton

It's a Newell convention, and it looks reel pretty!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

alantani

yeah, local charter boat guy.  i tried to explain to him that these were too expensive to let customers fish with. 

alantani

cracked open a box that has been sitting for months.  the reels are in good shape, but this is still going to be ugly.  and i now officially had shimano tekotas.........   :-\