Disengaging Levelwind?

Started by CheneyDoleshal, August 02, 2011, 07:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CheneyDoleshal

Is it possible to change a non disengaging levelwind to a disengaging levelwind?

Got a new Corvalus 400 free the other day, and it doesn't seem to want to freespool more than a couple seconds, even with the ABS off, spool tension knob very lightly set, and drags set appropriately. It seems in order to get any sort of cast out of it, I'd need a pretty heavy bait.

I haven't taken it apart yet, so I haven't seen the internals. Is the spool too wide for a DLW? I'm wondering if it's possible to pull out a gear to make it a DLW? Or should I remove the levelwind completely?

I know it's a Corvalus, and not a higher end reel, but I would still expect it to freespool for more than 2 seconds right out of the box. I added some Reel X to the bearings as well...

Thanks!

alantani

sorry, no.  it's a design issue.  either the levelwind moves when the spool moves or it moves when the main gear moves.  it's a hard connection and cannot be transposed.  that's actually a very good idea, though. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CheneyDoleshal

Thanks for the info. Would I be better off removing the level wind system or just going for a new reel. Have you noticed with these Corvalus a low free spool time even when oiled and greased? Or is it just mine.

alantani

you could remove it, but i think you'd be better off with a different reel.  the corvalus is not the most sturdy reel.  sorry, alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CheneyDoleshal

Quote from: alantani on August 09, 2011, 06:55:12 PM
you could remove it, but i think you'd be better off with a different reel.  the corvalus is not the most sturdy reel.  sorry, alan

Thanks for the info. I got it free from www.oceanicangler.com so it didn't hurt the bank at all. I guess I'll try and swap it out for something a little more cast friendly. thanks again.