rod testing trip from Virginia Beach to Mississipi

Started by ksong, May 23, 2018, 01:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

I was thinking about testing rods for fluke, seabass, haddock and cod in Cape Cod - Maine during Memorial Days, but weather is no good.
So I decided to go south.
I contacted Kenny Bruce in Virginia Beach to see how drum bite. He said fishing has been consistent. So I decided to fish drum in Virginia Beach a couple of days before heading for Mississippi.
The main purpose of this trip is to test newly arrived 8' prototype Black Hole Challenger Bank 801L and high-end 8'3" Black Hole light rods for drum in Virginia and speckled trout.in Mississippi.
We fished with Capt Ryland on his Southern Belle yesterday afternoon. 
We didn't get any bite for two hours and we got first black drum after we moved to other spot.
It was on ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod on the first and second black drum.
It is a pure joy to fight big fish with such a light rod. ( blank weighs 1.4 oz and the rod weighs 3.8 oz). 

It was Capt Ryland's turn to fight  a drum using 9'6" Black Hole Suzuki rod IRT 600 reel.

Kenny fighting a black drum using 8' prototype Black Hole Challenger Bankk 801L with IRT 600 reel.

Brandon fighting a nice 40 plus lb red drum using 6'8" Black Hole Charter Special slow pitch rod with IRT 500 reel.

We fished until 9:00 pm though they were still biting as they have a charter next morning.
It was a fun trip. I am going back with Kenny's boat tonight and I hope we land some monster drum.

ksong

I fished with Eric on the next day evening/night.
It was not hot bites like yesterday. But we got bigger red drum in 45 lb - 50 lb range.

Eric fighting a nice red drum using ultra light Black Hole Tai Special rod. The blank weighs only 1.4 oz and the rod weighs 3.8 oz.

nice red drum

I drove to Mississipi next day and arrived at the pier in Mississipi around 10 pm.
I got speckled trout using 8' prototype Black Hole Challenger Bank 801L and IRT 300 reel.
I cast 3/8 oz lure with the rod and it cast pretty good. But when I use 1/4 oz plastic lure, it looks the tip of the rod is a little stiff.

I fished on the pier next day. Generally trout is too small and I don't catch red drum this time.
I planned to go offshore for red snapper fishing, but the trip was cancelled due to mechanical problem of the boat.

I was going to Hatteras, NC for taking video of hot cobia fishing there, but weather got bad.
So I drove to Virginia Beach again to fish sheepshead or cobia.
It is very crowded in Virginia Beach as it is Memorial Holidays, but I don't have much choices. :)