My Soppressata is in the curing chamber

Started by mikeysm, May 24, 2018, 03:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeysm

I just finished fermenting my Soppressata. I is now in the drying phase.

Mike

STRIPER LOU

MAN that looks good!

I'm on my way Mike,     ....     Lou

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

El Pescador

Mike!!!

You taking orders???

The San Joaquin Valley is a 2 hr. drive from San Mateo,

I'll have my ice chest in hand!!!!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

mikeysm

I have 20lbs of Nduja ready for casings. Then next I want a try at real pepperoni.

Mike

theswimmer

Mike , how long does soppressata cure for and at what temp?
Best,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

mikeysm

It ferments for 15 hours at 85 degrees 90% humidity. Then I check the ph to make sure the starter is working. Then its dried at 60 degeees at 55% humidity. I keep the humidity around 65 myself. It keeps it from drying to fast. It takes aroung a month to make.

Mike

Big Tim

theswimmer

That insane.
I thought making beer and wine was a hassle.......
Can't wait to try it.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

mikeysm

I buy the meat ahead of time. Then cut it up and separate the fat from the muscle. Then freeze it long enough to kill anything in the meat. Since the meat is not cooked it is bettrr to be safe than sorry. Each type takes a different grind and process. Spices are measured with a gram scale to be spot on. Even the type of salt makes a difference in flavor. The most important part is food safety.

Mike

Alto Mare

That looks good Mike. You learn something everyday.
They always told me not to use meat for curing that has previously been frozen.
I grew up with this stuff in Italy, I've been here 40 years and still give it a shot every once in a while.
They are still following the traditions there, most raise their own pig and butcher it around February.
The best sausages I had to date are from my brother-in- law, he uses wild boar with pork belly mixed in.
I also noticed your soppressata is round, the word soppressata means pressed.
We usually line them up between two  planks when fresh and press them using a couple of ton of pressure. This gets done for about a week, it will flatted them a bit and get the juices out.
Looks like you know what you're doing, they look great but of course I can't comment on taste yet ;D.
Thanks for showing us how you do it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

swill88

mikeysm

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 25, 2018, 10:42:43 AM
That looks good Mike. You learn something everyday.
They always told me not to use meat for curing that has previously been frozen.
I grew up with this stuff in Italy, I've been here 40 years and still give it a shot every once in a while.
They are still following the traditions there, most raise their own pig and butcher it around February.
The best sausages I had to date are from my brother-in- law, he uses wild boar with pork belly mixed in.
I also noticed your soppressata is round, the word soppressata means pressed.
We usually line them up between two  planks when fresh and press them using a couple of ton of pressure. This gets done for about a week, it will flatted them a bit and get the juices out.
Looks like you know what you're doing, they look great but of course I can't comment on taste yet ;D.
Thanks for showing us how you do it.
Sal

Yes it's suppose to be pressed but I'm lazy and it's just for looks. I use fresh meat for coppa and whole meats but not salami.

Mike

Dominick

Mike those look sensational.  Mouth watering.  Keep posting photos.  do you have info on your curing chamber??  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mo65

My tongue is about to beat my brains out! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~