Spinning reel decisions. Vintage vs New

Started by david M, May 24, 2018, 11:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david M

Live in Southeast Alaska and am searching for a spinning reel for salmon (not king), trout species, and similar size fish. Will use reel for both fresh and saltwater fishing.  A friend recommended a Mitchell 300. DAM 330 and finessa have come up in conversation. After some web research I've become interested in the Diawa Torunament SS 1300 as it has a fine reputation. Trying to keep the price range about $100 or less. I don't have to have the best. Just want a solid, reliable reel. The wife is content for us to buy a combo rod/reel set. I'm okay with that as well. So I'm asking for help in my indecisiveness.

Thanks,

David

alantani

usually i tell people not to spend more than $20 on a spinner.  we'll make an exception in case.  let's say $30!

https://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Fishing-Tackle-Alaris-Spinning/dp/B076PTFHYH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1527203657&sr=8-3&keywords=okuma+spy

i charge $20-40 to service a spinning reel IF i am able to service it at all.  for that price, you can buy a brand new reel!!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

david M

Good news, indeed! I had a $20 zebco combo I bought years ago. I tried to service it but could. Not get it to work again...

wfjord

As vintage spinning reels go, I love my Penn 714 and 714Zs.  They're extremely tough little reels. I use them primarily now for stripers & hybrids, but also lm & sm bass.  Just put new carbontex drag washers in two of them today. I have 8 lb mono on two of them and 20lb braid on another that's working out nicely.  Also have various other vintage SS and 700 series spinfishers that I'm very fond of, too.

Being a vintage enthusiast, I haven't bought a brand new reel in over 25 yrs ---until last week, that is, when I pulled the trigger on a new Diawa BG 3000 in a moment of weakness.  Haven't even used it yet, but I'm excited about it and pretty sure I'm going to like it; I'll find out soon enough.  I was looking for it in the 2500 size, but got an okay deal on the 3000 reel/rod combo. Good line capacity--240 yds of 20lb braid (14.5 lbs max drag), carbon fiber drags, $100 price range, good looks and good reviews. Will report further on it after I fish it a while.

MarkT

The new Daiwa BG's are great for $100. I'd take that over some old reel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

wailua boy

When it comes to reels I fish all vintage but use some of the early skirted spinning reels from various manufacturers, they seem to be of good quality and can be had for reasonable prices.

Shark Hunter

Come on Alan,
Spinning reels have really evolved over the past few years.
I have always been a Senator Man for my Shark Fishing Trips, but I am leaning toward a new technique.
There are several $100 spinners on the market that are capable of landing big fish from shore.
The Fin Nor LT-100, The Battle 2 8000 and the New Daiwa BG 8000 are in my arsenal now on 12' surf rods.
I also have the Penn 7500, 8500, 9500ss, 704 and 706 Z's and The Dam Quick 270 in the line up.
Vintage and New, These reels deserve respect.
I have not had luck surf fishing in my past trips, but My last one yielded more fish on spinning rigs and surf rods than Kayaking baits on Senators.
Going against all the rules I have learned in the past. Time for some new Techniques and Gear.
There is a new Sheriff in Town.
His Name is the Shark Hunter. ;)
Life is Good!

Jeri

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 25, 2018, 05:44:14 AM
Come on Alan,
Spinning reels have really evolved over the past few years.
I have always been a Senator Man for my Shark Fishing Trips, but I am leaning toward a new technique.
There are several $100 spinners on the market that are capable of landing big fish from shore.
The Fin Nor LT-100, The Battle 2 8000 and the New Daiwa BG 8000 are in my arsenal now on 12' surf rods.
I also have the Penn 7500, 8500, 9500ss, 704 and 706 Z's and The Dam Quick 270 in the line up.
Vintage and New, These reels deserve respect.
I have not had luck surf fishing in my past trips, but My last one yielded more fish on spinning rigs and surf rods than Kayaking baits on Senators.
Going against all the rules I have learned in the past. Time for some new Techniques and Gear.
There is a new Sheriff in Town.
His Name is the Shark Hunter. ;)

Welcome to the modern era. With time we will get you away from those short poles, and using a proper beach caster - minimum 14'.  ::)

To the OP, suggest something from the smaller Quantum or Finnor range, they make some very robust reels. Have a Finnor Light that I have been using for years, cork drag even, and still catching plenty of fish - and simple to service.

CapeFish

Get a new Daiwa BG or a Fin Nor unless you are an old school aficionado. Corrosion resistance has improved a lot on these modern saltwater spinners.

Reel Beaker

100 bucks foR a reel or a rod and reel combo?

A few reels come into mind that are less than $100.

Daiwa Laguna, Crossfire, Sweepfire, Shimano Aernos and i believe the 2015 Daiwa Revros also come under $100.

Reel Beaker

Darn, that reel Alan recommended is just nice for my bait fish needs.....

alantani

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 25, 2018, 05:44:14 AM
Come on Alan,
Spinning reels have really evolved over the past few years......

well, that's actually so very true.  spinning reels have evolved tremendously over the last decade.  they seemed to have gone in all different directions at once, and all in the same direction at once. 

when i first say that they have all gone in the same direction, what i refer to is the level of complexity.  even the simplest of the new spinners have WAY more parts than needed.  it's insane!  there is really no need for a spinner to have 800 parts!!!!!!  yet, here we are.  when i was a kid, if i could have had my old mitchell 303, hot rodded they way i know now, and the fishing knowledge i have now, there isn't a fish that i couldn't have landed. 

daron, very simply, i would have been invincible........

but now we are offered a huge, (and now here's the big problem) EVER CHANGING line of spinners.  yup, new models are introduced, what, maybe every 3 years!!!!!!  old models are dumped and new one's are introduced.  and what happens when a manufacturer REFUSES to service a 4 year old spinner?  oh, you paid $100 to 800 for it?  well, you'll just have to buy a new one. 

but didn't i say something about these reels also going in different directions?  yeah, i did mention that.  what i was referring to was price.  some are sky high.  others are actually a real bargain.  a 12 year old kid can now go out,  mow a few lawns, wash a few windows, or sell an old ipod and go buy a spinner for $29.95.  then he can spend $3, install a set of greased carbon fiber drags, and guess what!  he's invincible.......   ;D

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

Guys I have owned a Diawa 9000 DX for at least 55 years and it's still going strong. It's ease to service and I've serviced it at least 30 times and I'm no reel expert or guru I am just a fisherman who is learning to service his own reels.

I have to admit I have more conventional reels then spinning so if you like spinning reels then by all means buy the best one you can afford. If you a 12 - 16 year old then buy one that you can afford other wise get you DAD to chip in some jingle for a better reel.

That's my own opinion....................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Gfish

Anything IMHO, that sparks alota opinions and controversy is a fun read and a good post, tnwaak.
My $0.02: the most fun for me has been restoring vintage '60's/'70's spinners. Zebco Cardinals(4,6&7), and the Shakespeare 2000 series, are well made, avalible for probably less than $100( including repair parts and shipping costs). The only downside for me, would be weight, but I'll take that any day over the new-fangled stuff with too much plastic. Modern high-tech. features are lacking on vintage reels, but how many high-tech features do you need witha spinner?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel 224

Quote from: Gfish on May 26, 2018, 04:32:23 PM
Anything IMHO, that sparks alota opinions and controversy is a fun read and a good post, tnwaak.
My $0.02: the most fun for me has been restoring vintage '60's/'70's spinners. Zebco Cardinals(4,6&7), and the Shakespeare 2000 series, are well made, avalible for probably less than $100( including repair parts and shipping costs). The only downside for me, would be weight, but I'll take that any day over the new-fangled stuff with too much plastic. Modern high-tech. features are lacking on vintage reels, but how high-tech do you need witha spinner?

Depends on what your fishing for, Like you have mentioned. Everyone has opinions on his or hers preferences on one reel or another stile design. But when it comes down to the fish you are targeting and presentation of lour or bate then the reel choice is important. Not trying to best anyone or one up.

But reels are the second besides the rod to think about. Spinning or Conventional they have there place. As for old school well I think I'm old school. But I like the looks of the newfangled reels too.

Joe   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."