Spinning reel decisions. Vintage vs New

Started by david M, May 24, 2018, 11:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I really don't know what any new reel has on the Mitchel 9 series. I get the long cast spools, but I don't cast any farther with them.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

I'm putting together some new spinning Surf Combo's.
I will post pics when they all come together.
Life is Good!

Jenx

My Shimano Sahara didn't even last through a summer of surf fishing before falling apart. So this past winter I went looking for a new and more saltwater friendly spinning reel. I was originally leaning towards the new Daiwa BG reels, but I instead changed my mind and went with the Battle 2 after reading a report from a poster on the Stripers forums who pointed out that there was a small gap around the pinning gear that could allow water to get inside. I wade out and fish in the surf, and my reels regularly get splashed, so that design flaw in the BG was a deal breaker for me, but I'm sure its a perfectly good reel if you aren't fishing it in extreme conditions.

I like my Battle, but the first time I dunked it, which happens every once in awhile, I found the reel to be pretty time consuming to break down and clean. I didn't want to potentially have to do that multiple times over the summer so I decided to go the simple route and use an old Penn 720. Minimal parts to service, and no ball bearings that need cleaning, makes this my new favorite reel for the surf. For most fishing applications my Battle is my go to reel, but for surf fishing I will probably never use a modern reel again.

happyhooker

The Mitchell 300 (older models) are classic, great reels; can use them as ultralights in a pinch and they'll also handle heavier line for most freshwater fish.  You gotta keep in mind that they'll need to be maintained; if you can make the commitment to do that, they will last forever.  Only question mark would be saltwater use, but lots of folks use them for that, so again, maintenance to keep the salt off & you should be OK.  For $100, you can buy his-and-hers & still have $$ left.  If you're not of a mind to work with classic reels (slow retrieve, no R/L convertible retrieve, no skirted spools, etc.) then you will be better off with something new as suggested by some of the other posts.

Frank

Reel 224

The basic thing you can think of is preventive maintenance on any and all of you fishing equipment. If anyone thinks a reel can be maintenance free, well I have news for them. It does not exist. Some reels require more care then others as you already mentioned. I own a lot of reels that I use and a simple wash with fresh water all season that I do every time I come home from fishing.

The end of the fishing season I'll service them. I guess I'm just lucky so far no problems.

On the other hand I need more maintenance then I ever did, my old bones need replacement and lubrication, which I've not found the right formula for.

Joe       
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oc1

Vintage.  There are plenty of threads here about the old Penn, DAM and Shakespeare spinners.  They are more tolerant of abuse than the new stuff, can be serviced quickly and the parts seldom wear out.
-steve

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Alan Hawk gives the new Daiwa BG a great review. I need the biggest one for capacity and drag for Shark Fishing.
This reel is $100. Just like the Fin Nor Lethal 100 which has been out for several years and still going.
Both put out 30lbs of drag
For that price, I buy two.
My Son didn't even service his Fin Nor reel, and has been fishing it for a few years now.
It made quick work of a 5' Blacktip last week.
This is what has me rethinking my Strategy.
I can Grab a Chair, a small cooler with a few beers, A small bag of tools (Gloves, Cutters, rigs) A rod spike and my Rod and make one trip to the Beach to be in the action, instead of four trips, Giant reels, Kayak, and lots of gear.
I, like most spinner aficionado's will always have a Penn in the line up, whether it is a 704Z or a 9500ss or a Current Battle 2.
I'm just saying the new spinners are a bargain and pack a lot of punch, drag power, and affordability.
It also throws a bigger chance into the mix.
When I Kayak out a 14/0 500 yards with 130lb mono on a 80 to 130 rod. I am confident that I can bring in whatever bites.
This is different.
A New Challenge. ;)
I strive for the best gear, but it doesn't mean you need to go for the cheapest or most expensive.
You can take this with a grain of salt, this is just my personal opinion, and I mean no disrespect.
I only get to do this two or three times a year, but I live for it. ;)
Life is Good!

Jeri

Quote from: Ron Jones on May 26, 2018, 09:36:53 PM
I really don't know what any new reel has on the Mitchel 9 series. I get the long cast spools, but I don't cast any farther with them.
Ron

Within the right environs, good long cast reels are worth between 10-15% more distance over deep spool conventional spinning reels - because spool lip friction just doesn't come into play, whereas it becomes very restrictive on traditional shaped spools.

Additionally, on some of the more modern models, the line lay is tremendously precise, and can wind on braids like they were factory wound with a machine. Some reels are offering up to 100 lays of line per cycle of the spool (up and down), that then leads to much greater efficiency in the cast.

Just a view from sunny Africa.

Alto Mare

Quote from: oc1 on May 27, 2018, 05:52:07 AM
Vintage.  There are plenty of threads here about the old Penn, DAM and Shakespeare spinners.  They are more tolerant of abuse than the new stuff, can be serviced quickly and the parts seldom wear out.
-steve
I agree!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

The weigh,,,,pflueger patriarch xtsp30 6.2oz max drag 10lb 6.2:1ratio,,,,titanium main shaft,,magnesium body&rotor,,,,the new ones are light,, smooth and if your fishing everyday all day it helps your back,,,,but still love using the penn 706  ;D

david M

Well, I appreciate all the comments. I'm land locked here in Juneau and ready to fish and I don't wanna wait for a vintage reel in the mail. So I hopped down to Soortsman's Warehouse and bought a Diawa Revros 3000 and an Okuma SST 7" rod. The wife got the same reel and an Ugly Stick. Hope to catch some Dolly Varden today.

I would like to know where to buy and how to install these carbon drags Alan mentioned. Seems a worthwhile investment. I do have a vintage Penn Super Mariner 49 that my friend Trevor helped me max out with new drag washers, a larger star drag wheel, and an Alan Tani Hanfle. That reel is now a beast and I hope to grab some Halibut soon.

Why Diawa? Well, when I was a kid I bout a Diawa Gold spincast rod that served me well with tons of blue gill and a few bass in East Tennessee. I kept that old thing until it simply wouldn't work. Now, my son's 9 year birthday is next week and he has one coming his way.

Shop talk is fun and I've wnjoued the responses. Now it's time to fish and make some memories!

wailua boy

I like to compare fishing reels to race cars, sometimes its the race car; most the time its the driver.

I did want to add to my first post, I do own a few modern day reels but cant say I fish them much.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: tnwaak on May 27, 2018, 04:09:56 PM
Why Diawa?
The only reason I say Daiwa is for their new BG (Black Gold) Reels.
The name is just borrowed from the original Black Gold from the 80's.
They are packed with features that a lot of high end reels have at a very affordable price.
http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/bg16.html
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I hope you enjoy your Dolly Varden!
At the end of the day, messing with gear, as fun as it is, is nowhere near as important as fishing!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"