Spinning reel decisions. Vintage vs New

Started by david M, May 24, 2018, 11:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

When it comes to spinners, I generally always go modern. Especially if fishing braid. Old spinning reels have line lay issues, they are heavier, and some have back play in the handle. Not to mention you have to hunt down parts if something goes wrong.

Recently I've been buying mostly Penn spinners because they are so simple and easy to maintain. Shimanos have a ton of little parts and are more fickle. I do enjoy fishing my Shimanos though.

I've never fished/fixed a Daiwa spinning reel that I've ever been impressed with....... There is a lot of talk about the new BG but I have yet to see one.

I like the Penn Clash. Penn fixed the line lay issues that were in the Penn Battles. They have almost zero back play. The drag is super smooth and powerful. Bearings are nice and smooth. Line roller has a simple design. Light weight and braid ready spool. You can find them significantly discounted online. Really good bang for your buck reel. The only negative I have to say is that I killed my gears about about 4 months of heavy use. However, I was fishing 4-5 days a week for 8 plus hours a day. Only serviced the reel twice and continued to fish it even after it felt like it needed grease because I was down in the keys. I abused it a bit but I feel like it should have been tougher.

Shark Hunter

I hear ya Sean.
Since Catching some nice fish on my last trip. I bought a few.
I too don't have any Shimano's, but you should really get one of the new BG's.
For $100. It is a steal. I think you will be pleasantly surprised by this reel.
Cabo 100 and 120. Battle 2 8000 and a 5000 I forgot to put in the pic, BG 8000 and another Fin Nor LT-100.
Also got two new surf rods. Ocean Master's from Bass Pro. I hope they perform as good as they look. They are all new this year.
All of this new gear for the price of one Stella. ;)
These reels have been out for a few years now. I did my research and tried to get the best for my Hard Earned Money.
The Quantum line of reels from Zebco has been out for many years.
I can remember fishing Quantum reels 40 years ago.
It is a different animal now, 60 lbs of drag tested by Alan Hawk himself.
This is a new era. ;D
Life is Good!

FatTuna

I have no opinion on the new BG because I haven't opened it yet. I'm curious though.

Nothing wrong with throwing chunks on a spinner. That's what I did last winter and had a great time.

The thing I love most about FL is you never know what is going to bite your hook.

Tight lines buddy.

david M

Well the Diawa Revros 3000 has done well this year on an Okuma rod rated for 10lb test. King salmon started running before we knew it  and I hooked five, landing two. This was using 12 lb  test monofilament. The wife landed a nice 16 lb white king with hers and a nice Chum salmon. The ones I lost were more operator error and smart fish than poor reel functioning. Had one fish go straight under a dock like it had been in that situation before!

A bigger reel and rod is in order for next year to keep the losses minimal. Thinking the classic Diawa BG or maybe a Penn Z.

Shark Hunter

You can't go wrong with the Classics.
I'm just trying new things as well.
Cabo 120 Serviced and spooled with 460 yards of 100lb Braid on a 12' Heavy Ocean Master Rod, rated up to 50lbs and 6-12oz of bait and weight.
Life is Good!

david M

Surf casting looks like so much fun! It makes me think of sunnier beaches and different fish than we have here in SE Alaska. I love shore fishing here too, though, which is very seasonal due to the runs and spawinging of the different varieties of salmon, trout, and Arctic char of which a Dolly Varden is one. This is my first year getting into it and there is a learning curve: What's here today is gone tomorrow.

Though I respect Alan's enthusiasm for low priced spinners whose drag can be upgraded for a few dollars, I have found some serious drawbacks to these cheaper reels, especially those rod and reel combos. I've found two of these reels discarded, taken them apart and found problems. I gleaned from Alan that these modern spinners are often unserviceable due to lack of parts and/or discontinued models. Another point is that these reels do not last long. What I have discovered from disassemblying these cheaper reels is that the plastic handle cranks can strip on the main crank gear of the reels. I've had one brand new $20 Okuma reel lose the opposite hand set screw back out while fishing in waders. In  another one I tried to service the set screw couldn't be tightened all the way because then you  couldn't turn the handle. My son found one of these reels discarded and it the gears were frozen up on the inside. It looked like a cruel prank on the inside. I could not figure out how the gears could possibly make the oscillation work. It simply would not work inside the housing. So no disrespect,Alan, but I think purchasing a classic or new serviceable reel that has been around a while may be a better option. It's either that or get ready to buy a reel every season to two or maybe less. Breakdowns are never fun while fishing!

I mentioned buying a Diawa Gold spincast for one of my sons. I've serviced it once this season, I assume it was due to a 9 year old using it. He had blast landing a12-13 puns king on that reel on a $9 rod. So fun can be had for not too much out of the wallet. Interesting aside on that reel is the drag which is not wahsher based. It screws down a plate against the spool for the drag. Doesn't really correspond with the name bets on the drag selector but it works.

Thanks for all the replies to this thread. The fishing is fun but so is checking out reel schematics and dreaming of which reel might make my next cast more enjoyable.

fishhawk

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 27, 2018, 07:15:54 AM
Alan Hawk gives the new Daiwa BG a great review. I need the biggest one for capacity and drag for Shark Fishing.
This reel is $100. Just like the Fin Nor Lethal 100 which has been out for several years and still going.
Both put out 30lbs of drag
For that price, I buy two.
My Son didn't even service his Fin Nor reel, and has been fishing it for a few years now.
It made quick work of a 5' Blacktip last week.
This is what has me rethinking my Strategy.
I can Grab a Chair, a small cooler with a few beers, A small bag of tools (Gloves, Cutters, rigs) A rod spike and my Rod and make one trip to the Beach to be in the action, instead of four trips, Giant reels, Kayak, and lots of gear.
I, like most spinner aficionado's will always have a Penn in the line up, whether it is a 704Z or a 9500ss or a Current Battle 2.
I'm just saying the new spinners are a bargain and pack a lot of punch, drag power, and affordability.
It also throws a bigger chance into the mix.
When I Kayak out a 14/0 500 yards with 130lb mono on a 80 to 130 rod. I am confident that I can bring in whatever bites.
This is different.
A New Challenge. ;)
I strive for the best gear, but it doesn't mean you need to go for the cheapest or most expensive.
You can take this with a grain of salt, this is just my personal opinion, and I mean no disrespect.
I only get to do this two or three times a year, but I live for it. ;)
there you go! Keep it simple

xjchad

I think spinners are under rated a lot.
I've been using my 9500SS and SSV6500LL before that to land a lot of 100+ lb. rays and sharks up to 9 foot.
One of my buddies recently landed a GW over 8' on a 12' rod and Shimano spinner.  Fought it for  1 hour and 40 minutes.

Not all spinners are up to that task, but there are several that are, and as Daron pointed out, you don't have to spend a fortune for some of them.
It's always fun to see the looks on peoples faces when you tell them you just landed that huge fish on a spinning reel from the beach  ;D
Husband, Father, Fisherman