Marado Evolution II 130

Started by Gobi King, February 06, 2019, 06:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

http://www.swfishing.com/shinasports/evolution.htm

I picked up this reel and a high end rod from a fishing buddy, I finally got around taking this reel apart.
Pretty straight forward.

Replaced the drag material with 2  7000BTL cf drags from penn parts.

I think I put in too much CAL grease, the drag is super slippery  :P.

I tried to look up the max drag from factory and I was not able to find any info. I called the # on the website and number is dud.

Anyway, it is good looking reel no butts about it  ;D

It came with 12 lb braid and I will keep that on and use it to bottom jig or troll for smaller species. I will test the drag with my brand new luggage weighing thing I found in ALDI.

Anyone has any history, info on this brand?
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Darin Crofton

Never heard of that reel, good job on the restoration though, will wait for drag #'s I'm intrigued... :D
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Gobi King

4.14 lbs

This was pulling the line around 1 guilde (bottom large guide of a spinning rod).

So I am guessing 4 lbs of drag came from the friction of the rod guide and braid line and 0.14 from the reel drag  ;)

I loosened the drag star 1 turn and the drag dropped to 2.3 lbs

I am good with the drag, I will use it for the cow perch and walleyes on the east side.
Fichigan

CapeFish

I had a marado fly reel, it fell apart unfortunately

Gobi King

Quote from: CapeFish on February 12, 2019, 08:07:07 AM
I had a marado fly reel, it fell apart unfortunately

Was it all aluminum?

the gears in mine does not look bad, I wonder because I put in 2 CF drag washers and little extra CALs I am getting such poor drag?
Fichigan

jfacteau

those reels were made for Walmart by Korea and discontinued in the fall of 1999. I have 3 of them, Revolution 150's, one never used. In all honesty they have performed flawlessly. I use two of them for striper fishing, sabiki on one of them for catching baitfish and the other for live bait fishing and they have been fantastic. They are actually made pretty darn well.

Gobi King

Yes, I agree, the body is all aluminum and the reels feels solid.
I got it has a hand me down from fellow club member with a fenwick rod,

I am kinda surprised at the low drag numbers, but I think it has more to do with my liberal Cals grease application and doubling the CF drag material (??)

Fichigan