Torium 30 pinion gear binding issue

Started by plastic tiki, August 03, 2011, 12:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plastic tiki

Hi guys,

I've just done a service and drag upgrade on a Torium 30, the pinion is binding when i tighten the star, i pulled it down and rebuilt it with the original drags and no problems. The drag stack is roughly 1.5mm thicker with the carbontex, the washers are all in the right order. The plate bearing does sit slightly proud if the lip with the carbontex drag.   Any ideas?, possibly a thinner metal washer in the stack?
The perils of kayak fishing are great...... especially for the fish!

redsetta

It's a tricky one.
I saw your original post, but couldn't come up with anything other than a tear-down and careful rebuild (which I assume you've already done).
I've done this upgrade and not had any problems.
Is there any chance the ears of the roller clutch tube are not aligned?
Likewise the second metal drag washer (ie either inserted above the first carbon washer or in the right place but with the ears facing up rather than down)?
I would've assumed if the drag stack was too high (due to the Carbontex), the problem would diminish a little as the star was fastened down (ie thus compressing the stack).
Are you sure it's not binding somewhere above the drag stack, but below the star (perhaps on the bearing TGT0486)?
If you flick the clutch lever into free spool with the drag engaged, does the spool spin?
Good luck mate - let us know how you go...
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

plastic tiki

I've pulled it down three times, each time i put the carbontex back in it's the same issue. The collar of the roller clutch seems fine, I thought the collar may have been resting on the first drag washer under the metal washer but it was well clear.  With the new washers in the collar is definitely pushing on the bearing which in turn the star contacts when you tighten the bugger. I did a Tekota 800 at the same time and it is absolutely fine. It is starting to frustrate me.

I'll pull it down again and start from scratch and measure each past against each other and try and work it out.  A day at home thanks to a sick little one has given me time to try again.

thanks Justin.

redsetta

No worries - I can understand the frustration...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Clem

Hi, just out of interest what is the thickness of the Carbontex washers?

plastic tiki

All 4 supplied are a little different, checkout mark mayo's post. I'll tear it down again tomorrow and measure each and everything.

cheers Clem. looks like a kiwis only at this stage as Alan's fishing  ;D

Clem

Board4life

I had an issue with mine as well... My problem was with the little plate that holds the dog in. It was back wards and hitting the gear when I tightened the drag. Sorry I don't know the tech term for the plate. I turned it around and put it back and it was all good.

plastic tiki

Quote from: Board4life on August 03, 2011, 09:43:58 AM
I had an issue with mine as well... My problem was with the little plate that holds the dog in. It was back wards and hitting the gear when I tightened the drag. Sorry I don't know the tech term for the plate. I turned it around and put it back and it was all good.

I'll try that too, thanks for the tip.

alantani

here's the schematic.  http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/techdocs/en/TOR30_v1_m56577569830498913.pdf

the pinion gear is key #738.  can you go through again which parts are binding and identify them by key number?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

plastic tiki

Quote from: Board4life on August 03, 2011, 09:43:58 AM

aha!, you were so right key 306 was round the wrong way. I'm not sure how i missed it three times. Thanks guys.

PT

Irish Jigger

Had the same problem on a Trinidad TN16,got me guessing for a time! Easily done,glad you have it sorted.

Board4life

Awesome... I contributed to the site.  ;D It's such a great fealing when it is something so simple and free to fix.

deepblack

I just did exactly the same thing and came straight here to see if someone had the answer, awesome work putting this up guys!
Thanks! ;D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

AT.com, it is the place for fishing gear problems. no other site even comes close... 8) 8) 8)