Ocean City Rods ???

Started by gumpie44, May 28, 2018, 04:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gumpie44

Made A Friend A Trade For Some Tackle,  Included Were 2 Ocean City Rods.... Never Seen These Before, No Info On Internet, Both appear New/unused Cond. Came From Estate Sale , So No History. Look To Be High Quality, Windings Seem To Be Varnished, If That Helps Date Them. Know OC Made Cradle Rods For Salt Water, But These Are Light Duty Fresh Water Rods ?

Having Problems With Photos, Will Post More Later
Barry
Carpe  Diem   The Days Go Fast

oc1

Do the rods look too modern to be Ocean City?  The original company went under in 1968 but someone else may own the name now.  Might be wrong, but I don't think the term "ultralight" was used back in 1968.
-steve

gumpie44

Quote from: gumpie44 on May 28, 2018, 04:05:41 PM
Made A Friend A Trade For Some Tackle,  Included Were 2 Ocean City Rods.... Never Seen These Before, No Info On Internet, Both appear New/unused Cond. Came From Estate Sale , So No History. Look To Be High Quality, Windings Seem To Be Varnished, If That Helps Date Them. Know OC Made Cradle Rods For Salt Water, But These Are Light Duty Fresh Water Rods ?

Having Problems With Photos, Will Post More Later
Barry

Jim Fujitani

Quote from: oc1 on May 28, 2018, 07:34:50 PM
Do the rods look too modern to be Ocean City?  The original company went under in 1968 but someone else may own the name now.  Might be wrong, but I don't think the term "ultralight" was used back in 1968.
-steve

1968 is close to the time when ultra light came into use, for fresh water anyway.  But I think the kicker is the metric length measurement.  No way would a US tackle manufacturer have used a metric measurement in 1968, unless it was marketed overseas, in which case why would the rod have length in feet, also?

Jim Fujitani

And in tenths of a foot?!?!?!?  It would have been in feet and inches!!

gumpie44

Do You Think These Are Copies... Not Really Made By Ocean City? Can't Find Any Reel Info On The Web, Found A Guy With A Google Search That Had a Couple, He THOUGHT He Got Them At A Tackle Show In The 70s.  maybe some body just bootlegged the logo and sold a few rods. Agree With Jim That The Strange Metric Measure Points To Non US MFG. Or Sales.  Thanks For Helping
Barry

Barry

philaroman

I have an old Euro Shakespeare w/ vaguely similar graphics, but it's all metric & more detailed

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Jim Fujitani on May 29, 2018, 03:03:41 PM
And in tenths of a foot?!?!?!?  It would have been in feet and inches!!

I have no idea or have ever seen these rods so no comment from me on those.

But, Jim rod manufactures were and still are all over the place in their numbering. Calstar and then Seeker incorporated the rods length in their model numbers with a few exceptions and they went by tenths of a inch. Really only .5 was used in the tenths.

A few of examples are like a 6470 used the 64 mandrel for the blank and the rods length 7', a 865 uses the 8 mandrel and the rod 6.5' long, a 690J uses the 6 mandrel and the rod is 9'and a 6455 64 mandrel and a 5.5' rod.

As far as I know Seeker and Calstar only made rods in 1/2' increments so you would never see a .3' or .25' ect. measurement.

Maybe that was what that rod manufacture was doing also?

Penn Chronology

Ocean City actually sold to True Temper in 1958. The rod company that was affiliated with Ocean City was Montague. The rod you have pictured here has nothing to do with the old Ocean City Manufacturing Co. As far as I know, Ocean City never made rods, they always used someone else's rod to partner with their reels. Even the cradle reels used Montague rods.