VISX Extreme reels

Started by natch!, June 03, 2018, 04:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natch!

Have seen mention of the 20VISX Extreme in a couple of places on the net. I have not seen a photo, though. Anyone know anything about this? Does it really exist? If so, what makes it "extreme"? Is there only the 20 size or are there others?

Jack

Penn

We sell 5 different VISX sizes in 2 colors each (gold or silver).

12VISX
16VISX
20VISX
30VISX
50VISX

The X stands for extreme, it will have an open top frame, designed to be fished braid, steeper drag curve and more max drag than the standard Wide versions.

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-reels-conventional-reels-penn-international/penn-international-visx/1447410.html#sz=16&start=18

tony

akfish

I have a 20VISX and really like it. Silent dogs, extremely smooth, nice handle and good gear ratios. It's very close to the size of an Avet EX30 if that helps.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

natch!

Thanks guys, I know about the VISX reels and will soon get a 16. When I saw mention of a VISX Extreme I thought it was an even newer variant. It seems that the posters were simply referring to the VISX as an extreme version of the VIS.

Jack

WalterWyman

The 16 is a great reel, one thing that I did was to change the handle with the handle off the 20! This gets rid of the wobble  and the bigger handle feels much better in bigger hands!!
"You said the grinding sound just started after leaving it sit wet for 1 year?" I see.....

Observer

I've heard from so many places and people that they are "upgrading" their 16s to the handles that come stock on the 20s. 

Why doesn't the 16 just come stock with the larger handle from the 20s in the first place? 

Because only a "few" people complain about the smaller handles... right?

But do people know that it's even an option to swap to the handle from the 20s?  I'm guessing no.

So, to be fair, why doesn't Penn just offer (let's say) the handle from the 20, which is about $50 for $20 as good will for those that "upgrade" the handle at the time of purchase of the reel?

As of this posting date, the VISX 16 at $580 + $50 for the handle seems steep when a VISX 20 is $600 with the "right" sized handle to begin with.

alantani

jack, i have a full set, the visx 12, 16, 20 and 50.  swing by the house if you ever want to take a look!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!