To lube or not to lube?

Started by festus, June 03, 2018, 08:13:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Is it really necessary to oil the tracks under the bearing screws circled in red in the illustration?  Those areas really collect lots of crud.

oldmanjoe

I spray them with pledge furniture polish = dry lube .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Midway Tommy

I use ArmorAll. It doesn't collect dirt as bad as oil, but a guy should apply ArmorAll a little more often than oil. I add a drop or two of oil down the main shaft/pinion tube whenever the shaft appears dry. If the shaft looks dirty I pull it, clean it off & run a cotton swab with solvent down the pinion tube & then oil them. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handyandy

light application silicon spray lube doesn't collect dust as bad as most oils.

sandbar

Hi Tommy
Is this the product you use?

Midway Tommy

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

SteveL

Quote from: oldmanjoe on June 03, 2018, 08:22:56 PM
I spray them with pledge furniture polish = dry lube .

Two of the sellers on ebay, one who sold me a super niice looking Penn and the other sold me a super nice looking Lew's Speed Stick from the 70's, finally 'fessed up after repeated inquiries that all they did to keep their reels or rods looking so good was to spray a little Pledge on a lint free cloth and wipe them down every now and then.