A worse thing to misplace than a dog spring

Started by grekim, June 03, 2018, 11:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swami805

I confess I work on reels sitting on my lazyboy while watching tv. There's that space between the chair arm and cushion that has a strange magnetic vortex that sucks in small parts. The deeper you dig the farther down it goes until it's down in the spring contraption. Every once and awhile I'd stick a magnet down there and restock the parts department. It had been awhile and my wife surprised me with a new lazyboy.  So much for my spare dog spring department
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on June 16, 2018, 08:04:58 PM
I confess I work on reels sitting on my lazyboy while watching tv. There's that space between the chair arm and cushion that has a strange magnetic vortex that sucks in small parts. The deeper you dig the farther down it goes until it's down in the spring contraption........

hahaha seems like if you were talking about me, I also work on reels and rods on a lazyboy while watching TV, from time to time you will see me crawling on the floor and hear my wife say.. there you go, you just lost another flying spring  ;D ;D

I swear for the life of me that I will find that place where all those flying springs live together with my long list of lost socks
The Baja Guy

kungajim

lost a spring this weekend.  was on the carpet with the light, and eventually found it.  if not, was going to use a trick I think I saw on this site...wrap the end of a vacuum hose with pantyhose/etc, with tape, rubber band, etc and then vacuum around.  glad I didn't need it, but i'm sure I will eventually.

I too use little lids and saucers for small parts.  need to add a magnet to one, thats a good idea.
so many baits....so little time

sdlehr

Quote from: 1badf350 on June 04, 2018, 10:27:42 PM
I put my head or one eyball as close to the floor as possible and look straight across it. Found many a small part that way.
If there is a cat in the room when the piece drops I always look to see where the cat is looking. It works more often than not!
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

George6308

Been on few hunts for flying parts. Still have not found the nylon bushing for the anti reverse on a Penn 716. The tile kitchen floor was searched but no luck. A trip to the plant was made and six replacements joined the parts box. No loss as a Penn trip always made a good day. Miss being able to go directly to Penn to pick up parts.
Tried all the for named tricks at one time or another.
All those missing bits wind up in the same orbit as those missing socks from the dryer !
Maybe Penn will reconsider allowing walk in's.

Frank

Quote from: Long Enuff on June 16, 2018, 03:25:34 PM
When searching the floor for dog springs and other subatomic size reel parts, I have found that a good high intensity flashlight will almost always save the day.

Works for me when I turn off all the lights and hold the light on a right angle to the floor. The part will cast a small shadow making it easier to spot.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Frank

Quote from: handi2 on June 04, 2018, 03:21:28 PM
magnetic parts trays work great. So do tea infusers.

Ive been using these tea infusers for a few years now. As I take reels apart all the small parts go inside. Even with big reels all the screws go inside to be cleaned.

You can fit everything except the bridge on most small reels. You dont lose the parts and it holds the parts for you if you use a parts washer and ultrasonic cleaners.

You can fit all the hardware and gears from a Mitchell 300 in one of these. The ones I use are 2.5" or 3" in size.

Today i was doing a box full of International reels. All the screws, quadrant spacers, harness lugs, and rod bolts fit inside one of these. The parts get shaken around in the parts washer, rinsed with hot water, and thrown in the UL cleaner. Nothing gets lost.

Keith

Very cool, Keith!
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

Gobi King

Quote from: handi2 on June 04, 2018, 03:21:28 PM
magnetic parts trays work great. So do tea infusers.

Keith

Keith, good idea, I have the same on a chain for spices for cooking. I think they are couple of bucks at walmart.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

George6308

Harbor Freight has had coupons for a free 4 inch magnetic parts tray. Right now they have a coupon for the 6 inch for $2.99.

DougK

Quote from: grekim on June 03, 2018, 11:44:56 PM
My wife would say that whenever I go fishing I trade human intelligence for some sort of fish intelligence (I have lost my keys in the ocean, drowned my phone, etc, etc). 
And if there is a smaller and more important part in some other reel, well I'd like to know about it.

upon immersion my old flip phone, would call my wife's number.. so she would get this odd call from my number with just static..
"oh the old fishing fool has fallen in again" Not quite as bright as the average fish..

I have an Argus LT fly reel, which is a copy of a Pfleuger Supreme or maybe a Abel. It's a fine little reel, but has a tiny spool latch release spring made of thin wire. I lost it twice and found it once.. now it has a bit of safety pin wire bent into the right shape, works so far.

mo65

Quote from: grekim on June 03, 2018, 11:44:56 PM
   Long story short, I checked the workshop floor on hands and knees without luck.  Checked workbench a 3rd time without luck.  Finally, somehow walking sadly back across the workshop floor there it was! 

For folks who haven't wrestled with this particular part yet...your journey is not yet complete. It's like trying to hogtie a flea. I'm pretty sure a higher power placed it right out in the middle of the floor for you to discover. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

philaroman

magnets & screens don't help during actual removal/installation

I thread red yarn through PITA little springs, before they do any flexing

they still try to escape, but not very far & slow enough to follow the red trail w/your eyes

boon

I do a bit of recreational locksmithing (story for another day) and the parts inside some locks make reel parts seem enormous by comparison. And naturally most of them are spring loaded. The first time you pull the core from a new lock is always a bit of a lottery... when I'm having a clever day, I do it inside a snap-lock bag; when I'm having a stupid day I do it on a nice high workbench with carpet underneath to ensure maximum bounce range. Try losing a grey spring about half the size of a grain of rice on a grey, textured carpet. Horrible.

philaroman

try a purely mechanical watch...  with a loupe and a prayer

LeoNYC

Dog springs are a tough find however losing one of these penn slammer 4600L/460L- 560L/5600L live liner engagement springs fly across the room like a micro ninja star if you don't get them to catch on the trip lever lol