Different Kind of Zebco

Started by Shark Hunter, June 05, 2018, 05:12:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Serviced, Spooled, Paired with a 12' Ocean Master.
This rod is sold out everywhere.
Hopefully it lives up to its name.
Very impressed with the line lay.
460 yards of 100 lb Kastking Braid.
Life is Good!

xjchad

I'm pretty stuck on my Penn gear, but that is a sweet setup and I can't wait to see your reports Daron!  8) 8)
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Jeri

Not familiar with the rod, but with the big Cabos, the guys here regularly bring in Bronzies over 150-200lbs without any drama. If you do too much casting, then a Breakaway Canon is going to be a god send, just for the sake of your finger tips, and pushing extreme power through the cast.

Nice set up.  :D

Cheers from sunny Africa

Shark Hunter

My trip is closing and I have made more than enough casting rigs.
I have straight cable rigs. Cable rigs with mono sliding trace and I am making some more with #12 wire and a sliding trace of 100lb mono.
I spooled up a Daiwa BG 8000 with 450 yards of 80 lb braid last night.
It is beyond tight. The line lay was exceptional for a $100 reel.
This reel just feels good in the hands. Super smooth. ;)
It doesn't have the capability of the Cabo, but I think it is worthy.
The New BG's have a following. I will be using the BG 8000 on a 10 footer and the Cabo 120 on the 12 footer.
I will have back up reels of each and a 9500ss and Battle 8000 in the line up as well.
I'm going full surf on this trip.
Hopefully plenty of Black tips and Bull Reds will cooperate.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Shark Hunter

This rod is a Davis.
Low end, but I have had very good luck with them.
This rod is heavy!
Life is Good!

Benni3

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 10, 2018, 01:54:23 AM
This rod is a Davis.
This rod is heavy!
that's a very nice set up,,,,,it's what you need to get the job done and that looks like a fantastic set up for cats and stripers

steelfish

This rod is a Davis.
This rod is heavy!

the rod materials looks good, but the rear grip handle seems kind of short for a good technique on long casts, it would be golden if you can have a rodsmith to add 1ft or 1.5ft on the rear grip.
The Baja Guy

Decker

Quote from: steelfish on September 12, 2018, 05:46:49 PM
the rear grip handle seems kind of short for a good technique on long casts, it would be golden if you can have a rodsmith to add 1ft or 1.5ft on the rear grip.

x2  I don't know why the factory rods all have such short butt sections.  Probably a cost consideration.  That length between the reel seat and the butt is where your casting leverage comes from.  I used an aluminum ski pole to extend the butt of a vintage daiwa surf rod, and I love it.  Powerful casting, and better balance at the reel.

Shark Hunter

Davis only makes two spinning rod models. I'm guessing they did it like this for the rod gimbal under the cap.
If you use a belt and it had a long handle. It would be too far away from you to get leverage and reel at the same time.
Life is Good!

Decker

Makes sense for a fighting belt; didn't think of that.   

Shark Hunter

Will post a pic later, but just got another one, just a Boca 120 instead of a Cabo.
Looks to be the same reel, just black in color.
These reels are discontinued now and parts will no longer be available.
I have three gear sets and six reels.
These reels retailed for around $250. They can be had for half.
Life is Good!

CapeFish

Quote from: steelfish on September 12, 2018, 05:46:49 PM
This rod is a Davis.
This rod is heavy!

the rod materials looks good, but the rear grip handle seems kind of short for a good technique on long casts, it would be golden if you can have a rodsmith to add 1ft or 1.5ft on the rear grip.

solve that problem by having a short but and the reel at the bottom. You can pack a very powerful cast that way (most distance casters use the reel at the bottom) and then use a fighting belt with the rod. For casting heavy weights and baits and fighting big fish reel at the bottom works like a charm.

See here for some examples

Shark Hunter

Thanks for the Video.
Pretty Cool.
Some day I will get to spend all my days Shark fishing.
Here is the Cabo and Boca 120.
Nice reels that will serve me well. Discontinued or not. ;)
Life is Good!