Monster Mag 10 **Finished Pics 10/15/18**

Started by xjchad, June 06, 2018, 10:32:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Quote from: xjchad on August 02, 2018, 05:05:42 PM
Quote from: JRD on August 02, 2018, 04:43:59 PM
I have to ask Chad, with the full topless frame is the level wind delete just for looks to seal the holes or??

Randy,
I kept the level wind delete bar for 2 reasons. 
1. Like you said, to fill the holes in the rings/side plates.
2. More importantly to me, to have a smooth durable surface for the line to contact as I'm moving it back and forth while reeling it in. (with my limited experience maybe it's totally unnecessary, but it makes sense in my head  :D )

I got ya.  Is a 3d printed frame next???  😁  With the level wind delete in its just a matter of shaving down the top bar and you'd have a solid frame that keeps the level wind.  Hint hint hint!

mo65

Quote from: JRD on August 02, 2018, 05:10:18 PM
A solid frame that keeps the level wind.  

Holy cannoli!! You have my attention now! :o  But what about the levelwind's travel? Won't it crash into the frame on the ends? ???
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

xjchad

I got ya.  Is a 3d printed frame next???  😁 

I don't think so.  I don't think I'd be happy with a 3D printed frame, especially with the machine I have to work with.  I don't think the rigidity would be enough.

Quote from: mo65 on August 02, 2018, 05:36:01 PM
A solid frame that keeps the level wind. 

Holy cannoli!! You have my attention now! :o  But what about the levelwind's travel? Won't it crash into the frame on the ends? ???

Haha!  You guys are on to me! 
Not a full frame, but I plan on making a half frame for my other Mag 10 and keep the level wind  ;D  Next on the list!
Also, a half frame would be much more doable if I make any to sell.  We'll see.....
Husband, Father, Fisherman

thorhammer

This is a little beast! remind me if you have SS sleeve for this....

xjchad

Quote from: thorhammer on August 02, 2018, 06:02:52 PM
This is a little beast! remind me if you have SS sleeve for this....

Thanks John!
I do have a stainless sleeve and stainless double dogs  :)

Decker

Quote from: xjchad on August 02, 2018, 05:47:01 PM
A half frame would be much more doable if I make any to sell.  We'll see.....

I think you'd get a lot of interest, Chad.   

mhc

Great work Chad, you've turned it into a good looking and very solid little Mag 10.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Gfish

Ditto!
I love it: "the level wind delete"!
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

JRD

It needs a stainless yoke and eccentric plate then you got yourself a high speed, framed squidder junior capable of fishing 50lb test.  With the frame it should easily pull 15 lbs of drag without shredding the gears.

Alto Mare

Quote from: xjchad on August 02, 2018, 02:49:27 PM
Ok, the spool is in and spins forever, and that's on dry bearings.

Time to take everything back apart, clean, lube, and reassemble the finished reel.
Can't wait to fish this thing!

You did an excellent job on that reel Chad. Are you painting the frame or getting it anodized?

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 03, 2018, 11:37:12 AM
Quote from: xjchad on August 02, 2018, 02:49:27 PM
Ok, the spool is in and spins forever, and that's on dry bearings.

Time to take everything back apart, clean, lube, and reassemble the finished reel.
Can't wait to fish this thing!

You did an excellent job on that reel Chad. Are you painting the frame or getting it anodized?

Best,

Sal

Thank you so much Sal!
I'm going to do a final cleaning, lube and assemble it so I can spool it up.  Then hopefully in a couple of week, I'll get the frame anodized.

xjchad

Final lube and assembly done!
Had to fine tune a couple more things, but I love this reel!
Just need to spool it up.  I'm thinking 50 lb. braid and 30 lb. mono top shot?  What do ya'll think?

One last step will be to pull it back apart in a couple of weeks to get the frame anodized.  ;D

(I wish I was better at taking pictures  ::) )

mo65

That little reel is capable of big things. Like MHC's "cut down" Mag 10, your mods have greatly strengthened it. 50lb. braid with a 30lb. mono top shot sounds good. Maybe even larger braid...if...it gives you trouble getting into the open area where the levelwind was. It might never even be a problem though. I bet you're anodizing green to match the other components...you should name this beast Lit'l Hulk. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

Awesome, Chad!  How are you going to fish it? 

Swami805

Nice job Chad,Bet the reel will cast well off the beach. Any idea how much 50# it will hold?
Do what you can with that you have where you are