Preparing for Florida

Started by biggiesmalls, June 08, 2018, 03:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

you need to practice with the 980 now, before you go. It will stop anything the SX will, maybe more, with better line capacity if you hook something worthwhile. the SX is a great reel but don't think you 're gonna go load up a lever drag with braid and go surfcasting with no practice and not have real problems, worse in the dark. Fish the 980 with 20 mono and a 40lb topshot. I have pried rays well over 100 lbs off the bottom with this.

Swami805

I had an sx and mx and sold them both. Nothing really wrong with them but nothing that great either. I'd stick with that 980 and practice casting. I think it's a little more versatile than the avet and can use it for heavier line. Just my .02
Do what you can with that you have where you are

biggiesmalls

Planning to bring the 980 no matter what, along with a ~2500 spinner and 9/0. Good news, Southwest allows rod tubes up to 91" long as carry-on, so I can bring rods much easier.

I really want to try out one of the little Avets to see how they do against big fish. I figure worst case scenario - I can resell here or eBay if it turns out I don't like the reel. It will be spooled with line, and I don't mind losing 20 or 30 bucks if I really don't like it. I'm going to sleep on it for a few more days though.

Thanks to John's help, I'll have rod parts coming in a few days, and I'll have a custom spinner for the trip.
Now - to stock up on lures for the trip, build my rod, build a rod tube, arrange for a kayak, and get to packing!

Drew

thorhammer

Drew, I was asleep when you texted back. 2.5" cork is fine for your split grips on 7'2" rod. don't forget the inch or so the butt cap will add if you set the layup to be 7-8" to the rear of the seat, and mount the seat downlocked  or it will put the reel another 2" higher or so when mounted if you uplock the seat. more secure that way; hoods wont back off from bouncing around.

biggiesmalls

Rod parts for the inshore/bass build are ordered, should be here sometime next week and I can get it done. Going to practice on a beater rod first to get everything done. Big thanks to John for the help there.

Going to local tackle shop tomorrow or Friday to play with some Avets, I have decided the SX is probably a bit small - I am convinced it can do what I'm trying to get it to do, but that's at this reel's limits. MXJ or MXL would be much safer, 3/4 filled with 50 lb braid and then topped with a topshot based on what I'm trying to do... fish from a dock, pier, bridge, or the surf. Who knows, maybe I'll invest in a G2 or Raptor version.
While I'm there I'll pick up the spinning reel for this rod build. Have some store credit to burn up, and I'll make sure I'm stocked on terminal tackle and lures (can always restock down there if needed).

My main concern is getting this rod build done before the trip comes around. I'm convinced I can do it (should have 4-5 days to work, and I can prepare myself with a beater rod), just need to make sure I stay focused on the task and get everything else out of the way first.

Drew