Misc Questions

Started by Reel Beaker, June 14, 2018, 06:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

So guys, recently i have a few doubts nagging on my mind. Here they are..

1. Whats the difference between a spacer and a washer on fishing reels? Are they technically and functionally the same?

2. I have heard that some fish species like pomfret and trevally do not take hooks readily, how do you catch these fish?

3. I have been playing with 50 lb braided line recently. What is the best colour for braided line and do you need drag to spool braided line?
Currently using black braided line and been spooling my braid using this saltstrong video.

Since i am following this video, i am obviously using my fingers to provide the tension before spooling the braid on my reel. Are there better ways to do it, since i am not very satisfied with the end result.

4. Do you need a braid scissors to cut braid? How do you differentiate between a normal and braid scissors?

5. If i have two spinning reels of the same model,size,drag washers And i spooled one with 50 lb braid and the other with 30 lb high tensile mono, is it safe to say that the reel with braided line will output more drag at the same setting (1-2 complete turns before drag knob is fully locked). I have been pulling these two similar reels with a small hand-scale and this seem to be the case....

6. Are there any applications i can find for apple vinegar for servicing fishing reels?

FatTuna

You don't need special scissors to cut braid. Personally, I like fishing pliers.

Braid color doesn't matter. Bright colors are so you can see the line. Might be helpful if you are doing a lot of trolling and want to analyze your spread. Other than that, it's pick what you like. You are going to fish a leader which will disguise your bait/lure. If you want to be really stealthy, switch to clear mono. If you are fishing a conventional, you could add a topshot on top of your braid.

When you are spooling braid, you need tension on the line. You can spool it with your fingers if that's all you have. However, after, you need to tie the line to something and walk off the entire spool. Tighten the drag and walk back as if you were fighting a fish. You should do that every once and a while to keep the braid tight. If not you'll get wind knots. Also, don't overfill, more wind knots.

The drag will be the same with braid but you will get less stretch in the line.

happyhooker

As for #1, a washer is meant to help hold a bolt, screw or nut on--to help prevent them from coming loose.  Sometimes, a plain washer under the head of a bolt or screw might also be used to enlarge the surface upon which the head will rest (for example, the hole for the bolt is kinda big relative to the diameter of the head of the bolt; using a washer will allow more of the surface right around the hole to also bear the contact of the underside of the bolt head).  A spacer is meant to help set a distance between two bigger parts and does not assist in holding a fastener on.  On the old model Mitchell 300 reels, for example, spacers are used to help "locate" gears so they will mesh properly; they fit between a gear and a flat body surface to do this. Some washers can look like spacers, and maybe even act in that role, if they are flat.  But, spacers usually have their thickness measured or set to provide the "spacing" they are designed to provide, whereas washers have a thickness that is not necessarily set to provide a spacing.  Special washers, like lock washers or spring washers, probably can't serve as spacers, at least not very well, because their thickness either varies or is not set to a specific value.

On #2, I know as for trevally that, in New Zealand, they fish for them with hooks just like any other fish.  Size 1/0 or 2/0 are common, which sounds big, but those fish can get pretty big too.  Or, is there another kind of trevally you are thinking of?

Frank

Midway Tommy

#1.....What Frank said.....some washers, singles, or multiples stacked, could be used as spacers given the appropriate dimensions, though.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

3.  that video is not for YOU -- it's for beginners using 10-20# braid...  you're more advanced
& using 50# braid, which needs more tension than you could comfortably apply with your fingers

too bad you already spooled the second identical reel w/ mono
the easiest thing you could have done, was to slightly over-spool one reel using the pinch method
then, use it as a spooling station to fill the other reel under 8-10# measured drag
BONUS: that way, you know exactly where to cut the line from a bulk spool
                     or, how much backing you need for a small filler spool

finally, if 30# mono is appropriate for your reels & target species, 50# braid doesn't sound right
I'd go w/ 80# braid (maybe, 100# if abrasion is a concern, or 65# if you really need more casting distance)

Reel Beaker

Quote from: FatTuna on June 14, 2018, 07:43:30 PM

When you are spooling braid, you need tension on the line. You can spool it with your fingers if that's all you have. However, after, you need to tie the line to something and walk off the entire spool. Tighten the drag and walk back as if you were fighting a fish. You should do that every once and a while to keep the braid tight. If not you'll get wind knots. Also, don't overfill, more wind knots.

Yeap i followed your advice and did just that. The spool feels tighter now. All i need to do now is to try using the reel now.

Reel Beaker

Quote from: philaroman on June 15, 2018, 02:59:46 AM

the easiest thing you could have done, was to slightly over-spool one reel using the pinch method
then, use it as a spooling station to fill the other reel under 8-10# measured drag

So i can spool one reel with just my fingers and then tie the tag end to an empty spool and start reeling? So i need to adjust both drag knobs? The spooling station and the spool to be filled? So 4 pounds of drag on each reel?

bhale1

Scissors.......
I purchased scissors made by Shimano that are specifically designed for cutting braid. They work fine. I didnt have them handy one time and grabbed a small pair of kids school scissors. They are made by Fiscars, readily available at Walmart, cost only a couple of bucks,.......
and work just as well ;D

Braid color...im no expert, but i like the darker colors for live linig bait.....with 6-8' of floro. I have one spooled up with white, and can see the line really well, but then I think fish might see it also ???....but I dont know ;D

And yes, get that braid on tight!!!!! I picked up a Craigslist reel recently. Guy had just spooled new braid on it. I was excited to go to the park and try it! Loose braid can make some really nice birds nests and cut into itself easily...ask me how i know ;) Its going to be a pain to pull it of and re-spool...
Brett

Swami805

I think if I was picky about braid color I'd go with white because it's easier to see in low light conditions which is handy. There's also a theory that red is very difficult to see in deeper water, that's why there's a lot of deep water fish that are red. I have some reels spooled with red power pro, it was on sale, other than that I stick with white. I always use a leader so I don't think it really matters
Do what you can with that you have where you are

handi2

Red is the first color to wash out underwater. It turn grey. All fishes are grey underwater. When you shine them with a light the color shows.

With a spinning reel spooling braided line i use nothing on the spool. Once the line is tied to the spool i use 3 half hitches and it will not slip.

Braid color makes no difference but I use green and blue inshore Fishing.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

philaroman

Quote from: Reel Beaker on June 16, 2018, 06:43:09 PM

So i can spool one reel with just my fingers and then tie the tag end to an empty spool and start reeling? So i need to adjust both drag knobs? The spooling station and the spool to be filled? So 4 pounds of drag on each reel?

the reel you are spooling from determines the tension -- I guess 6-8# should be enough for 50# braid

the reel you are spooling up should be set MUCH higher  -- just lock it down

Gfish

Hmmm, I found that braid is much eaiser to cut if at least one scissors blade is serrated.
The thing about your question#1) is; it's a matter of terminology for me, as people including myself tend to use their prefered words to describe a given part, which sometimes bothers my easily confused self. Other than that, pretty much what Frank & Tommy said. For example ona Penn conventional, there's a spacer between the star & drag washers and there's at least one "spring" washer( my favorite term), either Between the star and spacer, or between the spacer and last drag washer.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tiddlerbasher

For braid scissors I use a pair of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TC-Crown-Ciseaux-Pointe-Droite-Serrated-Scissors-10-5-cm-NATRA-GERMANY-/152696025532?hash=item238d6471bc

I think Sid will recognize these - they are used in dentistry.
They have micro-serrated tungsten carbide blades. They even cut fine wire.

For spooling braid I used to use the 2 reel method (as already mentioned) but that got old very quickly. So I built a line spooler - 'The Drag Queen':

Keta

I use a sharp knife to cut braid most of the time but have a few pair of braid rated scissors.  The scissors I have all have grooves in the cutting edge to grab the braid when cutting.  A few years ago I was given one of these and liked it so much I have 3 pairs in my tackle bags/boxes and one on my power line winder.

Spacers fill up space eliminating thrust, washers spread the load on a screw or bolt head.

The drag setting with mono and spectra should be the same if the OD of the line on the spool is the same but mono stretches.

The "best" braid color is it's natural white, Spectra does not like colors added, but it looks like some brands hold their color better now.  I have seen red permanently stain gel coat.

I use white vinegar to clean up corrosion, cider vinegar will also work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Reel Beaker

Quote from: philaroman on June 16, 2018, 10:47:57 PM
Quote from: Reel Beaker on June 16, 2018, 06:43:09 PM

the reel you are spooling from determines the tension -- I guess 6-8# should be enough for 50# braid

the reel you are spooling up should be set MUCH higher  -- just lock it down

Why should the reel we are spooling be much higher?