alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Fishing Pole and Spooling braid
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
December 08, 2019, 06:58:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fishing Pole and Spooling braid  (Read 1925 times)
Reel Beaker

« on: June 16, 2018, 10:47:22 AM »

So guys, i saw some fishing poles on discount and was wondering how do we rig them up? By fishing poles i really mean poles, no line guides, no reel seat, not fishing rods... Tried googling it up, but it appears that depending on where you live, fishing pole=fishing rod.

Got some 40 pound braid today, and looking for some way to spool it effectively. I have no fancy spooling machine or whatever.
Thanks.
Marcq
Sensei

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2018, 11:07:09 AM »

So guys, i saw some fishing poles on discount and was wondering how do we rig them up? By fishing poles i really mean poles, no line guides, no reel seat, not fishing rods... Tried googling it up, but it appears that depending on where you live, fishing pole=fishing rod.

Got some 40 pound braid today, and looking for some way to spool it effectively. I have no fancy spooling machine or whatever.
Thanks.

I think you're talking about rod blanks, do a search for rod building forum, you'll find information on how to build rods

About the braid, it's important that you keep tension on the braid while spooling, I use a glove, you can also use a towel
Is it for a spinner or a casting reel?

Marc..
philaroman

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2018, 03:09:13 PM »

do you mean fiberglass telescopic panfish poles w/ just one eye at the tip?
Reel Beaker

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:12:32 AM »

do you mean fiberglass telescopic panfish poles w/ just one eye at the tip?
Not sure whether there is a eye at the tip but yeah its telescopic, no guides and reel seat. Not sure what a panfish pole looks like either  Shocked
Reel Beaker

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 07:13:24 AM »

Thanks.

I think you're talking about rod blanks, do a search for rod building forum, you'll find information on how to build rods

About the braid, it's important that you keep tension on the braid while spooling, I use a glove, you can also use a towel
Is it for a spinner or a casting reel?

Marc..

Nope, its not a rod blank. Spooling a spinner
droppedit
Firearms Group

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2018, 09:08:49 AM »

Oh yes back in the day when we all used cane pole for panfish. This video might help.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com
philaroman

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2018, 03:15:26 PM »

PANFISH = any fish small enough to fit in a frying pan

that's the right type of pole, but really cheap, low-quality

almost everything else he does is WRONG!!!

Tiddlerbasher
Photo Group

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 01:36:27 AM »

Pole fishing, in the UK, is very common at most freshwater fisheries. Poles of over 60ft are now typically available (thanks to carbon fibre). They are fitted with an elastic line, usually hollow, and a fine tippet for delicate presentation. The elastic protects the fine tippet enabling quite large fish to be tamed - like double figure carp.
They allow for precise positioning of the bait at distance.

http://www.allfishingbuy.com/Fishing-Pole-14-18.htm
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:38:16 AM by Tiddlerbasher » Logged
philaroman

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 02:27:36 AM »

that's loaded/elasticated poles -- quite different
the cheap panfish poles are closer in concept to the Whip poles favored by Italians, East-Euros & Asians
Tiddlerbasher
Photo Group

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 06:04:52 AM »

By 'loaded' are you referring to seperate sections that push together - In the UK the process is referred to as 'shipping' or 'unshipping' a section. The shorter whip type pole, for margin fishing, can be tied directly to the tip or more commonly fitted with elastic. They can come in telescopic or put together sections - I have used many types of pole. Then again there are telescopic Japanese Tenkara poles for fly fishing (not tried that yet). They are all essentially a fixed line pole.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 06:05:56 AM by Tiddlerbasher » Logged
Reel Beaker

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2018, 07:18:47 AM »

PANFISH = any fish small enough to fit in a frying pan

that's the right type of pole, but really cheap, low-quality

almost everything else he does is WRONG!!!

what did he do wrong?
droppedit
Firearms Group

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2018, 09:02:35 AM »

I guess for some simple isn't good enough

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

conchydong
Firearms Group

Pompano Beach, FL

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2018, 09:42:01 AM »

We just used a long single piece of bamboo in the old days with a piece of line tied to the end for pan fish. Hard to travel with though due to their length.
The extra line wrapped around the pole was in case the tip broke on a big fish but we didn't bother with that most of the time.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2018, 09:46:48 AM by conchydong » Logged
droppedit
Firearms Group

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 12:26:27 PM »

yup, that's the way we used to rig them. When I was growing up in Florida almost everyone used them. For a cane pole you didn't need a license. I remember my dad would rig up 6 and we'd row around the lake until we could smell the crappies then set an anchor and load up on "specks". Some pretty fine eating and fishing was pretty simple. It was just as fun as it gets. Spent many hours on a Sat or Sun morning with my dad. Sure miss those days.

Dave

oc1
Sensei

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2018, 12:05:25 AM »

Sheephead fishermen used say a long calcutta cane pole was better than a rod and reel.  The pole will stealthily reach around rocks or pilings and having the line dangle straight down makes it easier to feel the delicate bite.
-steve
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: