Never Rely On The NMS To Forcast

Started by SoCalAngler, June 17, 2018, 04:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I just got back from a trip where the National Marine Forecast predicted less than 10 knts of wind and seas less than 2 feet.

Well it was blowing 15-20 knts at 6AM and 20-25 knts by 8:00. The predicted swell was 2-4' in the morning. We left the harbor and it was already over the 2-4' mark and silly as we were 26 miles in crappy sea's thinking it would get better. There were mixed sea's and swells so the 2-4' easily became 5-6' with 20-25 knts of wind.

Lets start at 6AM at that time still no report on bad sea's, cool, right? Well hell no half way through the crossing the NMF says...Small craft advisory. WTF? I know we made the call and yes it is on us as boat operators, Capts, crews and such. But, how can a National Weather Service be so out of touch?

Like I said I don't blame them for our fishing trip, but just think about how many peoples lives they put in stake because people listen to them?

Dominick

Well this is what we are getting out the Golden Gate tomorrow.  And this opening day for salmon.  Dominick

Sun SE winds 5 to 15 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. NW swell 8 to 10 ft at 11 seconds and SW 3 ft at 18 seconds. Areas of drizzle in the morning.
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

The Weather Men have no accountability.
I often say I want to be a weatherman,
if I'm wrong, It is OK.
They get it wrong more than right.
It pays the same.
Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

We use the Weather Channel Forecast here. On the computer, when you choose hourly for your area, it will give you the approximate wind speed and direction by the hour.

Fortunately, its been pretty accurate. Others I've used were terrible.

Type in your zip in the Weather Channel header and see if its available for your area.

The rain I can handle, but the wind not so much!

.....................Lou

handi2

Its the same here in NW Florida. There is a website called Windy. Check it out.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Reel 224

I use good seance and look at the weather map/radar local systems are the best for weather in my area.

Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

oc1

I use an android app called Windfinder Pro.  It has wind speed and direction, swell height and direction, high and low tide, sunrise sunset, all at three hour intervals for your nearest station.  The forecasts go forward for about ten days.

They are usually correct but not any more or less accurate than NWS.  They are all using pretty much the same algorithms and data.  

My take is different from many of you.  I'm grateful for the huge and continuing  improvements in weather forecasting.  It is so much better than it used to be.  Long range predictions based on the Southern Oscillation (the El Nino thing) are particularly impressive.

Life looks much brighter now that the La Nina has broken.  The recent prediction is for El Nino neutral conditions through the summer with a new El Nino forming in the fall and probably carrying through into next spring.  Good news for fishing in Hawaii.
-steve

Alto Mare

Keep in mind you're always taking a chance.
No matter what you use, things could change quickly when you're out there.
I had a hard time getting back a couple of times.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Benni3

I go to,,usairnet.com,,,it's aviation weather ,,,but you can never talk about the weather again  ??? People just get mad,,,because that's not what the weather man said ;D

Maxed Out

I use NOAA weather website and also watch local channels for weather.

I always look at the day before, the day I plan to fish, and the day after......to me the day after forecast is just as important as the day I plan to run offshore. If it says 5-15 for the day and is building to a 15-25 for the next day, then I know there's a chance the next day forecast could come early.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Three se7ens

I use weather channel and weatherbug on my phone.  They rarely agree, but between the two I can get a decent idea.  I also use the navionics app for winds as well.

Dominick

Hey Steve thanks for the tip on Windfinder.  Good site.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

oc1

Dominick, I need a particular combination of wind direction, wind speed and tide to have a chance of catching anything so I check Windfinder every day to see if there is anything coming up.  Then, on the day, I check NOAA Hi Def Radar to see if there are any squall lines on the horizon.
-steve