Ribs all the way from St. Louis

Started by David Hall, June 17, 2018, 06:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Not really but that's what they're called.
Four racks, untrimmed with sinew removed and rubbed with super secret dry rub 24hrs refrigerated.
I can only fit them in the smoker rolled up.  Don't worry they're gonna straighten right out in step two.  My version of the 3-2-1 method.  First up three hours on the smoker!  My choice of wood for this day is a mix of cherry and pecan and alder, why beacause I don't have enough cherry or pecan and I have a hundred pounds of Alder, (been planning on a bunch of salmon to smoke).

David Hall

In the smoker  at 225 degrees at 11:30 am.  Dinner bell at 6:00 tonight.
Wife is doing the sides, tater salad and yellow corn, and French bread.

Marcq

David Hall

Update, the 3 on the smoker is done, off they come, cool to handle it, then on a rack in a deep baking pan with about a cup each of apple juice and Arizona sweet tea.  Layered and tented with foil.  I try to seal it up good.  This is step two in the cooking process, steam them for 2hrs, I found that is a bit to long, they'll fall off the bone before I get to step 3, finishing them.  So I cut it back to 75-90 minutes at 325.  Then they will rest up again for the final finish which is 10 minutes on the grill. Step three in the original recipe is 1 hr back on the smoker, I like to just toss them onto a good medium hot grill and let them dry and finish up.  This is also a good time to sauce them, but since I'm slicing them up and piling them in a bowl. I don't sauce until they're in the bowl.  Sometimes I just put the sauce on the side with a couple or three options on the sauce, everyone has a flavor they like, the grandkids really like teriyaki and I'm not that fond of it on ribs, so sauce on the side this time too.

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

David Hall

Gotta have some appetizers, otherwise there won't be any ribs left over for my lunch tomorrow.
Assorted smoked fish with wasabi mayo dip.  Sashimi blue fin tuna and soy wasabi ginger dip.

David Hall

Out of the oven after steaming for 75 minutes at 325.  If I were to try to handle them right now, for one thing they'd burn the bejeezus out of my tender fingers.  And they'd also fall apart on me.  So we're gonna let them cool for at least 30 minutes.  I got till 6:00 to have them on the table ready to eat so times on my side.

conchydong

Awesome, I too make adjustments off of the 3-2-1 guidelines depending on the type of ribs and heat of the smoker. The end product looks great Dave and I much prefer St. Louis over baby backs..
I pulled some Crawfish (Florida spiny lobster) tails out of the freezer and did some Filet Mignons tonight for a surf and turf. No pictures but it was great.

Happy fathers day.

Scott

David Hall

We do some crawdad boils here too!  Like a spicy Cajun sauce on em.
My son the professional rib sampler, likes both the red and teriyaki but preferred em neked.
As I do.  No sauce required.

David Hall

The spread only moments before the assault.  And the newest member of the clan approves.

ChileRelleno

Okay... You can just pass that bowl of Deviled Eggs my way and I'll take of them.  ;D

The rest looks really good too.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

David Hall

Fortunately someone showed up with a chocolate cake and saved the dinner!  Now we're all fat and happy.
The end.

Maxed Out

Wow David, you have one heck of a lot of good eats all at once. Happy Father's day and stay off the bathroom scale for at least 3 days after that smorgasbord  :D  :D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Very nice.  I like my ribs cruspy on the outside, smoky and juicy on the inside.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.