Rear Drag spinning reels

Started by Reel Beaker, June 21, 2018, 04:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Reel Beaker

Hi guys,

after servicing some front drag spinning reels, i thought it would be a good idea to start with rear drag spinning reels. Unfortunately, there seem to be some difference in their construction. For example, some protrusion from the main reel shaft that made it impossible to remove the nut securing the rotor to the reel.  So does anyone knows of any reel schematics that would make dismantling of rear drag reels a lot simpler? I also find that there seem to be fewer rear drag spinning reels in tackle shops these days. Am i wrong or is rear drag reels still an "in" thing today?

Lastly, i trashed some reels that i totally gave up on, but scavenged 1-2 ball bearings. May i ask what parts of a spinning reels are worth scavenging before trashing away? 

Midway Tommy

This should get you started. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23900.msg266042#msg266042

Rear drags aren't all exactly the same but most are based on the same, or similar, principles. If you have something specific post the name, model & some pics & we'll help you through it.

Rear drags are still favored by many. I won't fish seriously with anything else. They are more expensive to manufacture so that's why you don't see as many in the stores these days.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

handi2

The spool shaft does come out. It is secured somewhere close to the end inside the reel.

Some are easy and some make you wonder what we're they thinking about.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

mo65

I remember back in the 80s and 90s the Bassmaster magazines always trashed rear drag spinners. I never really understood that, because I've owned a few and enjoyed fishing them. I guess I prefer the front drag...just for the simplicity...but I'd love to get my grubby digits on a nice clean Abu/Zebco Cardinal! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

MarkT

I thought rear drags are inherently weaker than front drags and can be less smooth.  Rear drags are also harder to service.  They do make it easier to swap spools and are more easily adjusted while fighting a fish.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

philaroman

sounds like you have one of THOSE, where:
you need to open the body/gearbox, first;
then, disconnect the spool shaft from the oscillation mechanism & pull the shaft out from the top;
then, and only then, can you remove the rotor nut & rotor

pretty sure Shimano has at least one extra-stupid "Catch 22" design (early Spirex?), where you can't remove the sideplate with the rotor in place & you need to unscrew the nut & let the rotor dangle off the spool shaft, before you can reach the top screw(s) on the sideplate   >:( :'( ::)  ...fun, fun, fun

Tiddlerbasher

Personally I will not touch a rear drag reel - they are just a PITA.
I luv spinners but front drag only please.

Gfish

Functionally, ona rear drag spinner, the spool shaft and spool turn as a fixed unit, with the friction discs on the shaft near the middle(early Cardinal series) or at the rear of the shaft(most models). Agree with Mark, in my limited experience, the rear drags tend to be less smooth, easier to adjust, and harder to service.

If you godda deal with a Shimano Baitrunner, there'll be 2 -"e clips" on the shaft inside the gear box that need to come off for disassembly,  and are easy to lose. Cool thing bout a Baitrunner is you get a standard spool drag ananother drag on the rear that clicks off when you turn the handle. This'ns a ROYAL PITA to rebuild.

That "protrusion" preventing removal of the rotor nut is what secures the spool to the shaft. Like Philaroman says, remove the oscillation unit from offa the shaft, then there may be somethin else holdin it in near the drag unit.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Reel Beaker

Quote from: mo65 on June 21, 2018, 08:07:43 PM
   I remember back in the 80s and 90s the Bassmaster magazines always trashed rear drag spinners. I never really understood that, because I've owned a few and enjoyed fishing them. I guess I prefer the front drag...just for the simplicity...but I'd love to get my grubby digits on a nice clean Abu/Zebco Cardinal! 8)

My dad still has his Abu cardinal 759 which seem rather odd looking to me now. Doesnt seem to have a line clip on the spool either. Googles that reel and came up with.. nuthing....

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Reel Beaker on June 22, 2018, 01:27:15 AM
My dad still has his Abu cardinal 759 which seem rather odd looking to me now. Doesnt seem to have a line clip on the spool either. Googles that reel and came up with.. nuthing....

The 500, 600 & 700 series' weren't made with line clips on the spool. The 759 service is a piece of cake. It's just like one (754) in the tutorial only bigger. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)