I NEED HELP IN REMOVING A BEARING FROM A CRACK 300

Started by Dominick, August 07, 2011, 10:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominick

Help guys.  Here are some pictures of a Crack 300.  I am posting the pictures in order that you can follow the dismantling procedure, although it is not complicated.  As a matter of fact it is a rather simple mechanism.  The problem I ran into is in the last few pictures.  The bearing is frozen.  I mean frozen.  I cannot get it to budge.  It is locked up solid.  It looks like the gear on top of the bearing was pressed on.  I tried to remove the gear but it won't budge.  I expect that it would need to be pressed out.  Anyone out there have any ideas?  I soaked it overnight in Liquid Wrench.  I braced in a vise and tried to tap it out.  I used a wood block to protect the brass tubing.  I do not know if any parts are available once I get it apart.  If I can get it apart without damage, I might be able to replace the bearing.

In this next photo you can see the grease that I had to scrape out.  It had the consistency of bees wax.  I think it was cosmoline.  Carb cleaner needed time to disolve it.

These next 4 photos are of the bearing and main gear.

Note on the photos that the gear and the shaft below it are one piece.  The hollow tube with the flat part on it seems to be one machined piece.

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

it looks like you should be able to tap it out, but look carefully for a crosspin or retaining pin first.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Dominick, I tried to find specs on that reel but came up empty. One site had that it was made in France and another site had that it was made in Belgium :-\. From the looks of your pix it appears that you should be able to tap on the sleeve while holding the gear, as Alan mentioned. Your best bet is to get all of that grease out of the way so you can see what you're dealing with. How come you never have problems opening a bottle of wine ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

if you still have trouble, can you bring it over to the house sometime this week? 

Alto Mare

Dominick, how did you make out with that crack bearing?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Sal:  Trying to make time to get to Alan's citadel.  Wife had knee replacement surgery and is taking tending too.  Gotta take care of her, so she doesn't complain about my time spent fishing.  Luckily or unluckily the winds are keeping me from what looks like a good Salmon season.  As long as the winds blow the wife gets care.  But if the seas lay down...hmmm ;D. Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Dominick, you better make sure that Mrs. Libonati is OK and forget about fishing for a little while. Also , I'm hoping that Mrs. Libonati doesn't check  this site, for your sake ;D.

Dominick

Members:  Thanks to Alan he removed the bearing for me.  It wasn't easy, well it was easy for me I sat around and watched him do it.  It was fun watching Alan get caught up in getting it apart.  He took it as a challenge.  He had to Dremel the bearing off and then put heat to it.  We were on it more than an hour.  Thanks again Alan.  I finished it today and as is expected for such an old reel it is a little noisy.  If any of you members are collectors and are interested in the reel, let me know.  I would only put it back under my bench.  Then my kids will end up dumping it along with the rest of my junk when I die.  ::)  Dominick

redsetta

Either that or they'll treasure it as a much-loved memento of their Dad - one can only hope! ;D
Might be a good one for http://orcaonline.org/.
All the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Quote from: Pescachaser on September 02, 2011, 01:37:29 AM
Members:  Thanks to Alan he removed the bearing for me.  It wasn't easy, well it was easy for me I sat around and watched him do it.  It was fun watching Alan get caught up in getting it apart.  He took it as a challenge.  He had to Dremel the bearing off and then put heat to it.  We were on it more than an hour.  Thanks again Alan.  I finished it today and as is expected for such an old reel it is a little noisy.  If any of you members are collectors and are interested in the reel, let me know.  I would only put it back under my bench.  Then my kids will end up dumping it along with the rest of my junk when I die.  ::)  Dominick
What are you complaining about old man, you still have 30 to 40 years to ejoy your junk...maybe 50, if you keep on drinking that zin ;).
I would have loved to see Alan in action, did he work on it at the Korean barbeque? or did you go over his garage? ;D

alantani

the amazing thing was that i actually had a bearing that fit!!!!!!!

Bryan Young

Those are good ol' reels.  I've got a couple that I used to fish with when growing up.  I have one similar from France that looks pretty darn good too.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 02, 2011, 02:45:55 AM
I would have loved to see Alan in action, did he work on it at the Korean barbeque? or did you go over his garage? ;D

Sal:  it was truly a marvel, first Alan worked over the bearing in his garage and then he worked over the beer and Korean Ribs at the restaurant...hmm and they study the feeding habits of sharks ::).  Dominick

Dominick

Members:  I thought I would bump up this thread.  Does anyone collect these reels?  If you are a real reel collector you can have for $0.50.  Yep that's fifty cents.  Dominick

Bryan Young

I would take it but my wife would kill me if I get another reel that I don't fish in the house.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D