Meaning of 9lbs at strike 14 lbs at full ?

Started by Natarach, June 21, 2018, 02:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natarach

Does it mean , if I set the drag 9lbs at strike it will automatically  be 14 lbs at full ? (with the same preset)

MarkT

Not necessarily.  It depends on the profile of the drag cam in your reel.  Try setting it so that you get 9 at strike then see what that gets you at full.  Be careful setting an Avet'd drag above what it's rated for!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

SoCalAngler

Most likely you will be over the 14 lbs at full if you set your SX thru MXL at 9 lbs at strike. IMO it should read 9lbs at strike or 14 lbs at full.

Natarach

MarkT

I usually set strike to be the drag I want and don't go over that.  If you want 14 at full then set the it to that and then see what you get at strike.

Tiddlerbasher

Manufacturers recommedations for lever drag reels are there for a reason. Exceeding them will cause damage to (usually) pinion and left spool bearing. If you feel any 'tightness' when cranking then likely the preset is to high. If the max is specified as 10lb strike 20lb full I will usually go with 8 and 18 - there is usually a marked difference in feel - but little/no difference in actual performance - and you preserve your bearings ;)
If you need need way more drag get a bigger reel ;D

Donnyboat

Yes Chris, we tend to get carried away with carbon fibre drag gear, looking for higher drag numbers, when really we should be looking for, smoother drags that dont wear out, to heavier drag, and you fine something has to give aventualy, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Natarach

Will it okay with the reel( MXJ classic which manual said max drag 9 lbs at strike and 14lbs at Full )  if I set the drag  11-12 lbs at strike and NEVER go to Full position.

Keta

First , why.
Second, you will most likely destroy a pinion bearing if/when the reel gets pushed to full.

Fish the reel within it's specs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Natarach

Quote from: Keta on June 22, 2018, 12:50:21 PM
First , why.
Second, you will most likely destroy a pinion bearing if/when the reel gets pushed to full.

Fish the reel within it's specs.

Thank you for your reply :)
Actually Im just curious because
12lbs is within maximun drag range of the reel and in case I want the drag at 12 lbs that's mean I have to push the lever to Full position (because manual allow only 9 at strike) so I just wonder what if I set 12 at Strike and NEVER go to Full will it damage the reel?

alantani

the avet sx and mx series reels (plain, not raptor), will fish just fine with a 30 pound topshot and 9 pounds of drag at strike.  if you have a big enough fish and you have to go to full, by all means do so.  if the pinion bearing is damaged as a result, fix it later.  just land that fish first!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

MarkT

Just set it so that you have 12# at full then when you go to strike you know you'll have head room if you need it. The MXJ is one of my favorites!

Natarach

Quote from: MarkT on June 22, 2018, 04:02:13 PM
Just set it so that you have 12# at full then when you go to strike you know you'll have head room if you need it. The MXJ is one of my favorites!

Thank you MarkT

REK

I always thought that the 9 pounds at strike advertised meant that the reel should get 9 pounds at strike and still maintain freespool. Anything more is bonus but should get 9 minimum. And you end up with around 14 at full. So....30% of 30 being 9...the reel is a 30 pound reel max. Set the reel at 9 and up the lever to full to finish off a tired fish without worry.