20/0 KITS: Here they are!

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, June 22, 2018, 12:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Quote from: broadway on June 28, 2018, 07:40:27 PM
Hey D,
   Is that good friend, John by any chance?  I liked his beefy braces he had made a while back.

QuoteI have found that the word "fragile", in The USPS employee handbook, means "throw me".
Chris, You're right about that!
Yes, Those are the ones. ;)
Life is Good!

Benni3

Has anybody put line on the 20/0 yet  ;D

Maxed Out

Quote from: Benni3 on June 29, 2018, 03:07:36 AM

....yes.....15 million yards and only half full so far  ;D  ;D
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

The Great Maudu

Quote from: Maxed Out on June 29, 2018, 03:56:35 AM
Quote from: Benni3 on June 29, 2018, 03:07:36 AM

....yes.....15 million yards and only half full so far  ;D  ;D

You can get twice that with braid.

mikeysm

I just ordeeed 1200yds of JB hollow braid. I will top shot it with 150lb mono.

Mike

foakes

Thanks, Randy —

Got mine today — perfect in every way.

Now to round up the rest of the parts needed, have a new black Penn handle already.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Benni3

? 4000yards of 200lb braid or 1200yards of 300lb mono for $120

Alto Mare

Hello Randy, I'm not sure how many members have assembled this 20/0 kit,  I did not purchase one, but I'm assembling one for a member and run into a problem.
The left side plate and right side plates will not sit properly on the new kit:

I've also tried it with a brand new 16/0 plate with same results:

The plates are hitting the narrower part of the recessed area:

I'm not sure why it is machined as such, or if I'm the only lucky one.
I know that you've assembled one and so has Daron .
Daron mentioned that the rad braces fit nicely with the wider kit, this tells me he has his assembled.
So, could you or Daron, or anyone else for that matter that has assembled one please show me a pic of the frame?

Thank you!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Dear Sal,

I am sorry that you are having a problem assembling Mike's 20/0 kit.  I think that we can take care of it, and if I can't, I will refund Mike's money.

I will attach some photos, as you requested, but I don't see any difference between the photos that you posted and my kit.  I can't take any photos of the frames alone because they have all been shipped, and so far, everyone who I have heard from who has assembled their kits has done so successfully.

I am sure that you have experienced the problem of trying to get new trim rings installed on Penn side plates.  I don't know if the side plates swell, or there is some other cause, but I frequently find that the rings will not fit until you relieve the grooves in the side plates a little bit. 

I believe that since the flange on the Tiburon frame replaces the inner trim ring, this is may be your problem.  My side plates were a tight fit, but I just gradually snugged down the screws without the outer trim ring (to avoid damaging the ring), and it sucked right into the frame, and then I removed the screws, installed the outer trim ring, and re-installed the screws.

Am I understanding the problem that you are having correctly?  If so, and if you cannot get it assembled using the method that I described above, would you mind relieving the grooves in the side plate so that it will fit?  I would be happy to pay you for your time. If you would rather not do that, or if I have misunderstood the problem that you are having, please let me know.

Thank you,

Randy

foakes

My experience when assembling aluminum frames with stock sideplates is the same as Sal & Randy —

On a typical stock Senator, there is a little flex in the rings — and the plate is not going into a rigid frame — it is a little more forgiving.  Even with an inner ring, many times, a few careful laps around the plate with a hand file are required to remove a Mil, or so.  Grease the plate, and ease it in place.

On these rigid frames with their tight tolerances — very light file work is needed more often than not.

Even when I pull NOS plates out of bins that they have lived in for 30 years or more — this is true.  Temperature swelling occurs just enough to make a tight fit worse.

Sal, Daron, Randy, and many others already know this — this is just for others who may not have realized this yet.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Hello Randy, thanks for the pics. I actually shouldn't have asked for those, I should have taken a closer look and realized you already had them up.

I hear you on the swelling of the plates and have seen it myself, but I do believe this is not the case with this one.
If you go back on my explanation you will notice that I also tried the kit with a brand new 16/0 plate that has never been exposed to weather, grease, or anything else.

I'm no pro on assembling reels, I have done a couple here and there, so maybe it is me that doesn't know how to handle this situation,
especially since no one else is having issues.

I tell all my customers to purchase a 14/0 plate for $50, when they want me to customize their 16/0, so I won't need to gring a 16/0 plate.
I'm  definitely not willing to force the plate in by tightening the screws, I'm also not willing to shave a 16/0 plate, but I thank you for the offer.

I just agreed to assemble this reel for Benni...a great member on our community and he only deserves the very best.
I will chat with him to where he wants to go with it, it will really be up to him.

I want to mention that I took the time to check everything out, Tiburon did a good job on the kit.
I do not have fancy measuring tools, but when comparing it doesn't really matter, as long as you use the same measuring device for both.
The spool is very close to stock, just 1/64th narrower... this isn't even worth mentioning, since they did make it up with the frame, they actually went tighter, which is a good thing.

The spool shaft is spot on, same distance from the edge of the spool to the tip of the shaft on both sides.
The spool ratchet is about 1/8" closer to the bearing, I'm not sure why, but they probably had a good reason. I know it would engage the clicker a little better, but wasn't able to test.

Thank you for getting right on this to make this better Randy, even though it probably won't need a thing after all.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

I haven't assembled my kit yet, but after seeing this, I wanted to check the fitment.
A 14/0 is going do be my donor, since It will be much easier to build another around the spool with new parts.
The fit is tight, but not so much that you have to screw it down to make it fit.
What is key here is making sure it slides it perfectly flat. It took me a few tries.
There is a small lip inside the frame, but when lined up properly, mine snapped right in with little effort.
You will know you got it when it makes a snapping noise getting past that lip with minimal force.
As you can see, it is not screwed down, but flush with the bottom, with no modifications.
These are just my personal results.
Very impressed with the Tolerances of this kit.
Daron
Life is Good!

54bullseye

I just gave my 20/0 a mock up assembly no grease on threads just to see fit and mine went together snug but perfect. I used a later mint 16/0 with the white handle. I did find 2 of the thin shim washers on the head plate side of spools shaft and included them when I put it into 20/0 frame and spool fit nice with no end play. Seems to operate perfect with good free spool, clickers good and all old drag material seems good and performs good. As custom parts become available I am gonna have Sal beef mine up with double dogs, SS Sleeve, new drag washers and what ever else is available !! I am having a friend of mine who is a very skilled machinist make me up a cool handle and grasp which I will post pics of when it's done "if it comes out like I hope" Lol !!!  My goal is to catch a Giant Bluefin up in PEI with it next fall !! And it will be in the rod holder not stand up !!!! Lol !!!!  I hope everyone who is building one of these with custom parts will share what they find and post pics as they go !!
   Thanks Randy !!!!!!       John Taylor

Alto Mare

Ok I just wanted to post that I was able to make the kit work

everything fits nice and the reel is working flawlessly

This one needed 2 shims on each side of the spool, you could use the shims that you will find on the older spool, but you will need to file the ID  a little...it doesn't take much.
Tiburon spool shaft is a hair thicker than stock...not a bad thing.
Spool is nice and centered

I was using the file but wasn't covering any grounds, I decided to use my Foredom and it worked like a charme

it actually looks as it was always there

If there is anyone else with the same issue, give the dremel a shot, all you need to do is to rest the bit on ridge and it will keep it aligned.
Yes, this one was assembled by Sal

You are something Benni ;D...enjoy the reel.

Sal

Benni3

El capo mas pesado double dog godfather :D thank you very much uncle sal !!!!,,,this is great!wow!!!! ;D