20/0 KITS: Here they are!

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, June 22, 2018, 12:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

droppedit

Quote from: 54bullseye on July 22, 2018, 08:38:33 PM
That reel is gonna look BAD #### on a stand up rod !!! Might be hard to reach around it to crank.  More power to ya !! Rod holder for me Lol !!~!~   John Taylor

I think that reel would be perfect for your Black Hole rod. Go for it, stand up ;)

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

54bullseye

Dave I don't know as I have it in me to stand up on one of those big boys !!! Would look cool on that rod though !!! You got pics of that one ? If so post them.  John Taylor

mikeysm

Good luck Randy don't lose the reel over the side.

Mike

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks Mike.  I will try to keep everything inside the boat!

mikeysm

Now that I have my 20/0 reel I need a reel case for it. Any ideas on what to get. Or where can I get a custom one made.

Mike

thorhammer

If I had that reel, I'd get Mark Mayo on the site here to make one. Nothing else would do for these limited run behemoths. my 0.02.

mikeysm

Randy how capable is the 20/0 kit with all the upgrades. At catching large bluefin tuna.

Mike

54bullseye

I am gonna answer for Randy. There has probably been more Giant Bluefin Tuna caught on stock 16/0 and 14/0 Penn Senators than any other reel or reels combined !!! So probably with some nice modifications these will be perfect for Giants !!!  The only draw back I see with these is the slower retrieve when a fish is coming at you or your trying to run him down to gain line back you will have to crank like hell ! These are gonna hold a bunch of line so shouldn't be any trouble. They should be great once fish is circling up lots of power !!! I think they will work fine.  That's my take on them.   John Taylor

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Mike, I was typing this message while John Taylor was posting his, so please forgive me for any duplication.  John and I agree that more giant bluefin have been caught with the Penn 14/0-16/0 than any other reels, and probably more than with all other reels combined.  99.9% of these fish were caught with zero upgrades and without the benefit of today's HT-100 drag washers. Those reels stood up to the stress of fishing 130 lb. and sometimes 200 lb. line, even though the frame construction consisted of the stamped brass Penn reel seats, which bend very easily, and only the little brass tubes connecting the side plates, which do little to prevent torquing and misalignment of the side plates.  

The increased strength and perfect side plate alignment provided by the Tiburon one-piece aluminum frame and the heavy duty machined aluminum rod clamp more than make up for any added stresses resulting from the 20% increased width.  I plan to put the 20/0 to the test at Price Edward Island in September. I don't think that the low gear ratio will be a problem, given the huge spool diameter, but the size and weight of the big Penn, and the lack of a low gear make it less than ideal for stand up fishing, but I hope to give it a go anyway.

mikeysm

I knew all that but compared to the reels now. Maybe we have gotten to soft these days. We want it done for us. I like the idea of the challange so go for it.

Mike

mikeysm

Mark Mayo agreed to make a case for me. I need to send measurements to design the case.

Mike

The Great Maudu

How do I get in touch with Mark Mayo. I searched the members list and got nothing

Swami805

look in the for sale section  he's listed there
Do what you can with that you have where you are

TheReelShop

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.