Flea-Find Senator 113h

Started by nelz, June 22, 2018, 02:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelz

This reel got my attention because of the knob and the drag stack that is accessible without removing the sideplate. Is this a rare type of Senator?

Paid $18 w/rod at the flea market. Got to work, cleaned it up good, chrome was very corroded but inside it was dry but almost in new condition, go figure. (Rod was trash.)

So is it a collectible?

sdlehr

Nelz, you got a good deal, it's worth that and more. The earliest version of the 113h had externally-accessible drags like this, later versions did not. What you've got is pretty common. I would fish it if I were you.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

nelz

Thanks Sid, yeah, I just saw a bunch like it on ebay.  :-[

nelz

Can somebody help me out in getting a schematic for this reel? Only ones I'm finding are for the newer enclosed drag models. Thanks!

Shark Hunter

They all basically have the same design.
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/113h_post89.pdf

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackles old online store over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Nelz,

If you can't find a schematic, the only real difference functionally should be number of drag washers plus the top hat washer on top. (Spool, frame, handle, plates  changed to current format much later but functionally is the same). If you want to fish it and put in new washers, buy the full kit (metals plus HT100) from Mystic (Penn Parts). the HT100 are much thinner than the leather / asbestos washer so you will have to work the stack combination to get where you want to be, then use the top hat vs. wavy spring washer on top of last keyed washer.

nelz

Thanks guys.

My reel's stack differs from this schematic. There is no tension spring part 8A (18-970), but instead a heavy metal cap which is flat on the inside and quite heavy. Also, the schematic says there should be a felt washer (140-113H), and collar cap (136-113H). Any suggestions on any parts I may need to get, or the order I should assemble what I have?

Shark Hunter

I would run it like it is.
That washer and cap were more of a water barrier than anything else.
Life is Good!

thorhammer

you can make a felt washer yourself with a pair of scissors- it's literally that. grease it and place between top metal washer and top hat as you wish. it's essentially an oil dam seal, not actually a drag washer.

thorhammer

I was typing while Daron was. what he said. felt only helps keep out water.

handi2

I have some original felt washers if needed. I just use a little grease.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL