The Big Shark Rig vs a Human Being

Started by The Great Maudu, June 22, 2018, 05:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

You should have been able to make it a little harder on that tree guy Mike ;D...good stuff!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CapeFish

Quote from: oc1 on June 22, 2018, 07:43:13 PM
I bet you could have stopped him with a lighter rod Mike.  With more flex in the rod the effective length of the lever that wants to pull you over decreases as the rod bends.  As the rod bends it also puts a more steady pressure on the fish so every time the fish gives an inch the rod snatches up the slack. 

If someone has to point the rod at the fish to maintain their balance and keep from being pulled over it is a sign the rod is too long and/or too stiff.  You could even see it happening to the boss a while back in his tuna video.

The tree trimmer would be more difficult to stop if the line was connected at waist level instead of the upper back.  He is pulling with his legs and butt not his back so there would be less leverage trying to pull him over.
-steve

This is a cool video :-) Oci you have a point, but from he shore and if you get stuck in for a long time, like an hr or two, straight sticking and just letting the fish go against the drag sure gives you a good breather! Some people say you shouldn't do it but I really couldn't be bothered, it works for me and with a casting rod you have limited pressure you can apply compared to boat rod. A longer rod on the shore is also very handy when following the fish to clear obstacles. I am now wondering if my very stiff rods are actually not a curse although they help to cast better.

swill88

Sounds like a start of a Stephen King story. What if the sharks teamed up and charged.  Close call.
Steve

otghoyt

Just this season, I went from a 660H to a 760HHH and I, personally, believe the 7.5 footer is a more versatile stand-up rig.  On the other hand, I am 6'4" @ 240# and the 7 footer just works better for me.  Different mechanics in there somewhere but I can keep the tip attitude in the zone better with the longer, stiffer rod.

I dunno,

H~

Penn Chronology

This is really funny to me. I know a tackle shop owner in Brazil that tests their big game reels like this all the time in the parking lot behind their store. They even put a video on their Facebook page a couple of years ago showing how they did it. Pretty much the same way you did it. Great video!

Dominick

Hey you can't tell a big shark to hold up.   ;D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Thanks for doing that for us.  That was the funniest thing I've seen in a while! Loved how he was a good sport about it, too!
Ohana rules!
Dom