Mitchell 330

Started by Brewcrafter, June 23, 2018, 09:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brewcrafter

First try at adding a photo, so hope it works.
Was cleaning out a shed on the property here and came up with an assortment of Mitchell's (a couple of 300s' and a 302) but also came across this 330 with this unusual bail spring arrangement - I haven't seen anything like this before, what's it all about?  Seems a little complicated.  Thanks!

foakes

That is an "otomatic", BC —

As you retrieve, it automatically goes into position — to cast it, instead of releasing the bail and holding the line with your finger — you just hold your finger against the bail with downward pressure — and cast.

Actually works pretty well.

I have many of these in 330 & 440 that I have used for years with no issues.

I do suspect that yours will need a complete cleaning, service, and lube — before it will work properly.

Nice reels.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Brewcrafter

Thank you Fred!  I played with it a little bit after reading your reply and now I see how it works.  Yes, it definitely needs a thorough cleaning and oiling!  Looking at the reel shelf here in my shop, it sometimes feel like my Dad and my Father in Law over the course of their lives accumulated most of the production of Mitchell in France  :D  Is this something that had a really limited production run/limited years?  I have been around fishing pretty much my whole life, and many Mitchells, but I had never seen this (or noticed it) until today.  Thanks again for the info, I'm looking forward to getting it back on the water!

foakes

Quote from: Brewcrafter on June 23, 2018, 09:39:56 PM
Is this something that had a really limited production run/limited years?  I have been around fishing pretty much my whole life, and many Mitchells, but I had never seen this (or noticed it) until today. 

These were manufactured by Mitchell for around 3 decades, or more.  Many stayed in Europe.  There were many variations over the years.

Although more rare than a common egg shaped 300/400 size Mitchell — really not that rare.

Only problem with these was — most anglers in the US did not know how to use these properly.  So many bails were bent, tweaked, or broken — and the reels either modified into a Frankenstein's-300 — or more likely tossed away.

Yours will clean up and operate like new, I believe.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

philaroman

I remember a "modern" version advertised on TV (80's?)

Midway Tommy

Mitchell made around 1,100,000 of the 330 & 440. That does not include the 331, 441, "A"s or other special variations. The 330 came out in '55 and they ceased production in '79. The 440 was available from '66 through the early '80s.

Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Brewcrafter

Thanks for all of the feedback - I can see how without the help here I probably would have "buggered up" the 330 when I started messing with it.  Got into another box today, and pulled this out.  First thought "another Mitchell".  Then noticed the upside down side plate, and at first thought "Aha, my Father in Law or one of his buddies swapped parts to make a Right hand reel"...then I gave it some thought  - wait a minute, the body is a dedicated casting...looked a little closer and realized that even the bail rotates to spool line opposite of all of my "normal" Mitchells.  I don't know if I've ever seen a legitimate "Right Hand" Mitchell, so the whole side plate thing is kind of intriguing, I would imagine since they created a dedicated casting that they would have side plates with the proper engraving/orientation as well.  Lot's of great experience on this forum - what am I looking at here?  Thanks!

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Brewcrafter on June 24, 2018, 07:23:12 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback - I can see how without the help here I probably would have "buggered up" the 330 when I started messing with it.  Got into another box today, and pulled this out.  First thought "another Mitchell".  Then noticed the upside down side plate, and at first thought "Aha, my Father in Law or one of his buddies swapped parts to make a Right hand reel"...then I gave it some thought  - wait a minute, the body is a dedicated casting...looked a little closer and realized that even the bail rotates to spool line opposite of all of my "normal" Mitchells.  I don't know if I've ever seen a legitimate "Right Hand" Mitchell, so the whole side plate thing is kind of intriguing, I would imagine since they created a dedicated casting that they would have side plates with the proper engraving/orientation as well.  Lot's of great experience on this forum - what am I looking at here?  Thanks!

That's how the early 301s came out. The one pictured is from somewhere between early 1952 & late '55. It has a serial number on it that will indicate when it was manufactured. If it was originally sold in the US it also had an upside yellow paper Garcia sticker across the bottom. Most of those stickers didn't survive. If the serial number starts with C it was made in '52. Post the # & I'll let you know when it was probably made.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

foakes

Tommy is right about the 301 — which is a right hand crank for a left handed angler.

On my iPad, that reel appears dark blue.  If that is so, instead of black — then it might be an early high speed 401 or 411.  If black, then an early 301.  Easy enough to switch parts around  on these over the years — but harder on a lefty, because many parts are specifically oriented to left or right.

To me, it is interesting how seemingly similar reel manufacturers approached ambidextrous right/left cranking in these earlier days.

Mitchell reels required (11) unique left hand parts to end up with a crank on the right side.  

Baffle plate, bail spring, counterweight, trip lever, drive gear, rotating head, frame housing, cover plate, handle shank, handle complete, & the bail wire.

ABU/Zebco told us that left hand crankers just needed to get used to cranking with their left hands — no accommodation on the early Cardinals.

D.A.M. Quick just offered a switch from right to left by changing the orientation of the oscillating arm and connecting block inside the case — then switching the crank and crank housing to the right side, then moving the ball lever to the opposite position.  No parts required.  5 or 10 minute job.

On the Mitchells, some folks say that 1 out of 25 of the 300 size reels were manufactured as lefties.  Whether or not that is true, I do not know.  But it seems reasonable.  

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

happyhooker

The "High Speed" on the handle makes it look like a 400 series.  Of course, the handle could've been switched

Frank

Midway Tommy

The 401 (blue with High Speed sticker on the handle) came out in '63. By then side plate engraving & stickers were right side up. Brewcrafter's reel is an early 301 with a replaced (400 High Speed series) handle. The serial # will date it.

Tommy D (ORCA), NE